Chapter Forty - Jager

Sorry, I know it's short but I did this at work on my break, I just wanted to upload again so badly so its short but another chapter is on its way :-) I hope the 'die to live' thing is cleared up for every one in this chapter. This chapter is one of the most important chapters I've written in a while so I hope you enjoy :-)

Let me know what you think, I love your comments and apprieciate the votes!

Thanks

 J <3

Chapter Forty

Jager

I froze.

Time stopped.

My world was spinning.

Lidia had Violet under the water. Violet was fighting but she was no vampire and she wouldn’t last much longer. She couldn’t hold her breathe for very long. No human could. I could hear her heart beating even from here, thumping too quickly... and then slowing down.

Chasseur had me pinned to the ground. She was stronger than me, not by much, she was struggling to hold me down and I wouldn’t let her keep me from saving Violet. I bucked and struggled trying to get her off but she was small and agile, keeping out of my reach when I tried to throw her off.

“Chasseur get the fuck off of me and let me save her! Get off, get off!! Get the fuck off. Now! She won’t last, now –!”

“Shut up Dimitri, you stupid son of a gun,” she hissed, grabbing the back of my neck. I knew she was serious when she called me that. She snapped her teeth next to my ear. “Listen to me boy!” she snapped.

“Get off! She’s killing her!”

“Let her?”

“What –!”

“Loretta says she has to die to live. The phantrip doesn’t work on a dead person! Because the spell is broken once her heart stops beating.”

“But then she’ll be dead!!” I growled.

“Loretta said she bring her back.”

“How?!” I yelled, my teeth grinding in frustration and fear.

“She didn’t tell me but she said she will as soon as there both dead.”

I hissed. She was talking deals when my girl was being drowned? Rage rolled through me and I wanted to scream.

“Look, you kill the fucking vampire and I’ll get Violet out of the water and Loretta will save her! Got it?”

I was still listening to Violets heart beating and like I feared most. It had almost stopped. Pain shot through my own and for a split second I thought I couldn’t move, if I breathe I wouldn’t have been able to catch my breath, if my heart beat it would have stopped. I screamed.

“Let me up!”

The moment she released me I was running towards the water. Lidia noticed the moment I began to move and tried to take a defensive position but she was already too late. I smashed into her, my hands going around her neck, my fangs elongated and faster than I had ever moved before I sank them into Lidia’s neck like a hot knife through butter. She didn’t even have time to scream, before I ripped out her throat.

She turned to ash in my hands and fell into the water. Behind me Chasseur was already dragging Violet out of the water and back onto the bank. Violet wasn’t moving, not breathing, her heart was beating barely and I knew in a moment it would give out. I raced to them.

Loretta hurried over and stood above Violet. “Is she dead?”

“Almost, she’s barely –” Chasseur started but Loretta cut her off.