Chapter Four

August 30 2016 - Tuesday

~

Trent

(Song: Itch by Nothing But Thieves)

Her name was Leah Carnegie. I had looked through one of the yearbooks, in the library, at school. She was perfect. Such youth and maturity perfectly intertwined together. She looked so vibrant. So beautiful. I had snapped a picture of her yearbook photo on my phone. Looking at the picture rejuvenated me. It motivated me to keep looking for her. I needed to find her. I needed to see her. I needed her to be in front of me.

I used my lunch period, everyday, to look for her. The uniforms ate outside, while the rest of us ate in the cafeteria. The wall between us and them was completely made of glass. That made it easy to look out and search from face to face. I sat, everyday, at an empty table next to the glass with my hood drawn, hoping that she shared the same lunch period as me. But after looking for about two weeks, I was beginning to think that that was unlikely.

"Trent!" I sighed and reluctantly turned my head.

"Where have you been? No one's seen you in days," Jessie said. The entire gang stood by my table staring down at me like I was a fish in a bowl.

"Are you okay?" Valentine asked.

"I'm fine."

"Have you been coming to school?" Harry asked.

"Yes."

"He's probably been with Melanie," Carl said sitting down next to me and elbowing my arm with a sly smirk crossing his face. They all sat down at my table, spreading out their stuff and getting comfortable. "So did you do it? Did you get back together with her?" His toothy grin was obvious. Carl was like a children's cartoon, subtlety wasn't one of his strong suits.

"I have nothing to do with her."

"Oh really, is that true?" Harry asked.

"I have no reason to lie."

". . .Who is it this time?" He asked. Him and the others started eating their sacked lunches. Harry was more focused on the sandwich in front of him than actually talking to me. "There's another girl, right?"

"Why do we always end up talking about Trent's love life?" Jessie asked.

"It's not the same," I said to Harry.

"That's what you always say," He said.

"Let's talk about something else," Valentine said.

"This time it's different," I said.

"This time. The. . . sixth time, it's different," Harry said.

"Sixth time's the charm," Carl said with his mouth full.

"It is different, because she's different than the others," I said noticing my raised voice halfway through. Harry didn't respond. No one did. But I did spot Harry quickly glancing at Valentine, who had her head down.

"Great. New subject," Jessie started.

None of them understood a single thing about me. They didn't take me seriously. Harry, especially. He loved to be controlling. Telling people what to do, and how to feel. Harry never showed any type of interest in anyone. Having him talk about dating was like having someone that was tone-deaf telling me how to sing. Leah was different, I was sure of it. I wasn't going to let Harry or anyone else dishearten me.

~

Trent

(Song: Beautiful by EXO-K)