Chapter Thirty-six

January 27 2017 - Friday

~

Daniel

(Song: Radio Silence by James Blake)

Leah was becoming a special type of poison on my mind. I had started dating her because she was cute and she didn't seem like the type of girl who would make a fuss about everything and be loud.

I didn't even think we'd be dating all that long. I was a senior. She was a Junior. I was planning on ending our relationship before I graduated. I didn't even think that it was going to be a big deal. I thought I'd break up with her and move on. But having her dodge my calls irked me in an unusual way. All I wanted was for her to pick up the d*** phone.

After a while my calls just went straight to voicemail. I left a few messages, but I eventually willed myself to stop. Having her ignore me dug at me with each call and message. It hurt and it didn't make any sense. Why was I letting some girl mess up my head?

I wanted to know what she was up to. I wanted to know who she was with. The only person that I knew she hung out with was Brittany. I called her thinking that she'd let me in on what was happening.

"Hey- Hey. . .Hi, Brittany."

"Hello to you, too."

"Hi, I was wondering about Leah."

"I haven't seen her. The last time I saw her was before winter break. She hasn't even called me or anything."

"I just wanted to know what she's been up to."

"I don't know. She hasn't even been to cheer practice. What, she hasn't been talking to you either?"

"No, not really."

"What! That's crazy. She's always been a little stand offish, but I never thought she'd go ghost. I can't believe she's avoiding you, too. Have you tried going over to her house?"

"No."

"You should. Or maybe wait by her locker before class. Maybe with some flowers or something, perhaps she's not feeling well right now."

"I don't know."

"Don't worry. I'm sure everything will be worked out. I'll talk to her for you and see what's going on." My heart started to race at the thought of Brittany using my name to talk to Leah.

"You don't have to do that. You don't have to mention me."

"It's fine. I'll talk to her at school on Monday. Okay?"

"Yeah. . .Yeah, fine."

It wasn't like I was really concerned or anything. I just thought that maybe Leah might exaggerate and spread lies to Brittany. That was the last thing I needed. Brittany was anything but a locked vault. All she ever did was run her mouth. The way things were going for me so far, I wouldn't have been surprised if everyone started talking about me as if I was some monster just because of Brittany and Leah.

I was an idiot for calling Brittany in the first place. All I wanted was to know what Leah was up to. I didn't want the possibly of having my business out there for everyone to see and talk about.

I needed another way to get to Leah. I could've asked her brother. I sort of knew him since we went to the same gym. But that might've been too risky. It was a little too close for comfort. I didn't know what to do. But I had to figure it out because it was killing me.