~13~

"We are going to Sofia's house today," my mother says taking a seat beside me in the living room. She takes a handful of popcorn from my bowl. She is so pretty, beautiful brown hair and hazel eyes, I love her eyes. It's like a forest during a sunset. Her brown hair is short, one side shorter than the other.

My mom Is very young to have such old kids, one year apart. How are Daniel and I in the same grade? Easy, I skipped a grade.

What ? I'm called a nerd for a reason, "Do I have to wear a dress? "I say between bites. "No, a bikini" she grins, I choke.

I take a sip from my soda,"what are you talking about ?"

"They have a pool, " she says in a duh tone taking another handful of popcorn. My mom and I are too much alike when it comes to our personality and emotions. I care way too much even when I'm not supposed to but when I stop caring, believe me, there's no going back.

"You know, I might have the looks of dad but I'm pretty sure I have your sarcastic attitude and eating habits,"

"I'm sure you do, you have the best of both worlds," Ha, if I had my father personality I wouldn't be going to my mother's friends house, I would be in Dubai.

"Why couldn't I get your ass instead?" Like I said, my mother, is gorgeous. She has a body to die for and me on the other hand, meh.

"God only made this sexy beast once " she winks at me and I laugh throwing a few popcorns at her, she catches with her mouth.

It's a superpower in our family.

What do you think of Kyle ?" She raises an eyebrow. Leave it to my mother to try to and set me up.

I groan,"No mami! Don't try to play Cupid."

"I was just asking, besides he looks like a such a nice guy"

"He might be but I'm not interested, in fact, there's something I have to tell you,"

"You are lesbian ?"

Mother.

"What? No what is wrong with you ?" I scoff and she laughs," actually I have a boyfriend." Well, I had to tell her someday, before Daniel kills him that is.

Although Blake is a professional boxer, Que interesante...

"What's his name? Does he go to your school? Is he good? What are his future plans? What college has he applied to-" I interrupt her, "Okay, Oprah calm down," I place my hand in hers," his name is Blake, yes he goes to my school and you can ask all of those other questions when you meet him"

"I'm going to have some fun," she rubs her hands together and grins mischievously, " Have you told your brother ?"

My mother is cool with me having a boyfriend because she knows Dee makes sure I date the "right" guy and he makes my love life a living hell.
Like my ex-boyfriend Connor, he was a college boy I met at a party.

You know the older the wiser, bullshit.

When Dee found out I lost my virginity to him by walking in while I was telling the girls, he almost stabbed him like LITERALLY.

Connor and I didn't last long because he was studying medicine and had to go to medical school in Canada where he was born, long distance relationship wasn't my thing.

Bless the kid for moving to another country, otherwise, he or Daniel would have ended up dead.

Dad and mom have always been cool about it as long as it doesn't distract me from school and I follow the rules.
I groan, " Don't remind me, he is going to hate Blake. Especially because of the rumors"

"It was that way with your father, your grandfather hated him. All because Kendrick was adventurous, he finished college and decided to travel the world"

I love this story I can hear it a million times and I never get tired of it. I get closer to her and lay my head on her lap as she starts running her hands through my hair like she used to when I was little."I was at the beach with Alexandra, we were laying on our towels on the sand. You know tanning, which is ridiculous because we are Hispanic" she rolls her eyes and smiles. Alexandra is my mother best friend who still lives there. They have been best friends since they were in diapers, they lived next to each other, goals.

" Kendrick was playing football with his friends and he threw the ball our way hitting me in the leg," she laughs," I started cursing him out in Spanish and he kept smiling at me and that just kept getting me even angrier "

I know that feeling mother.

"Once I stopped telling him how stupid he was in Spanish he said "I have no idea what you just said but I'm marrying you" I smile, "And he did" I whisper.

"And he did, we went against everyone who didn't want us together but the outcome was amazing"

"Dee and I, "I say sitting up, I look at my mom as she nods and smiled at her sadly. I feel so bad for my mother, losing her other half. Imagine finding your one true love and then losing him.

"Don't look at me like that?! ?" she says and I give her a questioning look. "Like what ?"

"Like you pity me, Christina what I and your father had was true love. A lot of people don't get to find that and we were lucky to find each other. The years I spent with your father was the most wonderful time, we will meet again. I feel it in my heart," she rubs her thumb through my check getting rid of the tears. My father wanted to name me Christina but my mother wouldn't have it so is my middle name instead.

"Now get up and let's get ready, free food and a pool? I'm living the dream !" She smiles and helps me up, "Wear that cute white bikini with blue triangles I bought you last summer"

"Kay mami" I turn off the tv and make my way to my room. I pick up my phone from my bed and find a text from Blake.

Shaking my head I place my phone back on the bed and walk towards my closet

Hmm, where is that bikini?

❤ ❤ ❤

Kelly Thiebaud as Zoey's momma :3