18

(PAIGE)

               Why did the snake lady have to work at the Halloween shop as a make-up person? Percy, Shelby, and I had walked into a little town full of friendly people. There was a doughnut shop that I stayed far away from because in the books there was a monster doughnut shop. I’m using the books as a kind of survival guide along with pure instinct.             

I sheathed my daggers and pulled my sleeve over my arm. It looked better but there were still teeth marks and I had no clue how to explain that to some random stranger. I walked up to a girl who looked close to our age with bright green eyes and jet black hair. “Excuse me,” I said lightly tapping her shoulder until she looked at me,” but where are we. You see my friends and I were driving cross country and his pride got in our way so now we’re kind of lost.”

“Oh, I see,” she said with a sickly sweet smile. “You are currently in Johnstown, Ohio.”

“Thanks, could you help us find a costume shop or something. We’re traveling to a friend’s costume party,” Shelby lied.

               “Sure, just follow me.” She led us through the not so crowded streets to a Spirit Halloween shop. “I think I’ll come in with you all and chat with my friend for a bit.”

               “Alright,” Percy said wearily. He had the same idea I had, I hope. The girl walked over to her friend at the make-up counter and I could tell that they were talking about us. “Now, what colors are we getting?”

               “I think we should get purple, bright pink, lime green, electric blue, and black,” I said as I found the isle and picked up all of the colors.

               “Would you like a free make over or Halloween make-up tutorial?” I turned around and saw the girl and her friend standing there. Their skin looked like snake skin and for a minute I just stared thinking that they were dracaena.

               “Isn’t she the best with special effects? By the way I’m Nate,” her friend giggled.

               “Nate,” Percy questioned. “Is that short for something?”

               “Yeah, it’s short for Nateli, but she has the same name and I never really liked it much so we shorten mine.”

               “Okay, enough with the introductions,” Nateli said as she grabbed my bad arm and pulled me towards the back room. “Let’s get that pretty face looking like a zombie or something for Halloween.” She started dragging me so I grabbed onto Percy’s arm and dragged him with us. Shelby ran after us and just made it in the room as Nate closed the door with a thud.

               “Alright half-bloods, time for you to get out of Kronos’ way.” Oh, I love when monsters are blunt about killing us. The fight comes so much faster that way.

               “What makes you think you can stop us?” I yelled as one backed me into a corner away from the others. “We just sent some of your empousa friends back to Tartarus, would you like to join them?” Her legs turned into what looked like snake bodies and her finger nails turned into foot long, wicked sharp claws.

               “Let’s see if you can stop us or if that was just luck,” she hissed. I unsheathed my daggers and she lunged at me.