Chapter 1

You were walking down the street with a handgun in your pocket. It was a cold night in August, but your trench coat didn't help you otherwise. Mist formed in front of you as you exhaled. You pulled up the collar of your coat and continued ambling down the pavement. You were a night person, you presumed, having all your public escapades during the night. Some could say you were a troublemaker, but no. You were a vigilante.

You thought the law enforcers here were not enough to bring wrongdoers to justice, so you just wanted to help. But it didn't explain your handgun, though. Let's just say from your recent adventures, you managed to snatch a few weapons here and there. A good handgun is better than nothing, right? You promised to use it only for self-defense, at least that's what you told yourself.

Your life wasn't the happy type, you thought. You were an orphan, parents missing since you were around 16 years old. They were never found, and deemed legally dead. You were 17 now. Well, escaping from the orphanage, you started living on your own. People you knew became temporary, thus you really didn't know how to interact well with anyone, as well as having no friends. You sighed. You lived in a flat, and the owner of it was really nice, so you had no problem at all. Except for money. The money you saved was decreasing wildly, so you probably needed a job sooner or later.

You snapped out of your thoughts and pushed your (h/c) hair out of your face. You glanced at your watch. It was a quarter to 11pm. Quickening your pace, you looked at your surroundings. Not a soul in sight. You continued walking, only to find a white terrier seeming lost.

"Hey little guy," you said, kneeling down. The dog seemed wary to approach you, so you added, "I won't hurt you, I promise." The dog, satisfied of what you said, trotted over to you. "Where is your owner?" you asked. There was no collar. You patted the dog's head. "How about you stay for the night at my place, and then in the morning we look for your owner. Since it's very late in the night. How does that sound?" The terrier wagged its tail and barked in agreement.

You smiled. "Very well then. Come on, my place isn't that far from here."

*timeskip*

You closed the door of your flat behind you. The white dog came bounding in, seeming excited. You left the excited mutt in the living room as you changed into your pajamas. You stared at the one box you had, together with your belongings and clothes. You didn't really have much stuff, so unpacking had never really been a bother. You kept your gun in the box, closed it, and slumped onto your bed. You felt something warm curl up against you, so assuming it was the terrier you found, you drifted off to sleep.

  You woke up to feel something sniffing your cheek. You opened your eyes a crack and saw the terrier's snout. "Good morning," you mumbled. You sat up, and greeted the dog. You brought out a slice of bread for the each of you for breakfast, since you really needed to save your inventory.

Low on money, remember?

You took a quick bath and wore a pale blue sweater and jeans. "I promised that we'll search for your owner, right?" you told the dog. It barked happily in response.

"There's a flea market being held down the street. A lot of people go there, so it's possible that we might see your owner."

Hello! I hope you guys liked the first chapter. Please let me know if there's anything for me to improve. Alright, bye for now!

- bluestars484