Chapter 17

You advanced on the two young men, who seemed to be in a sort of heated conversation. Now that you got a better look at the new person, you stifled a gasp. You had to admit, he looked a bit good-looking – brown hair, slightly tanned skin, and piercing green eyes.

You shrugged it off. It wasn't as if you liked him – you liked someone else, remember? You snapped out of your trance, only to be met by Tintin's blue eyes.

"(Y/n)," he said. You shook your head lightly. The seasickness was getting to you again. If you had known better, then you'd be lying down on your cabin bed, preferably sleeping.

"S-sorry," you muttered, turning to study the newbie. It was like he was regarding you three warily, whether to trust you or not. It was noticeable that he was looking for an escape route – his gaze was darting frantically around the place.

"What information did you get out of him?" Captain Haddock asked, still reeking of Loch Lomond. Though not informing him of what had happened, you figured Captain Haddock had seen Tintin interrogating numerous times that by just one look he knew what the commotion was about.

Tintin caught the smell of whiskey and queried, "How in the world...? You know what, I won't ask." He dismissively waved off the subject and was about to say that the newcomer didn't answer anything, only to reply with remarks such as, 'I don't care', 'I don't know', and other such comments.

You tried with gentler approach. "Look, whatever your name is - "

"Max," the male interjected, his voice low. It was definite he wanted a low profile.

"Okay," you continued, "Max, just tell us what we need to know on why you tried to steal this very book." You waved it in front of him. "We won't hurt you unless you give us the information needed. Then we wouldn't have to resort to extreme measures."

Max scoffed, straightening his stance. "Extreme measures? You? Such as what, violence?" He added with a smirk – one that you wanted to slap right off him.

Your hand instinctively reached for the handgun at your back pocket which was underneath the tan trench coat. You didn't plan on doing harm, you just wanted to firmly convey to him that you meant business. That impulsive, arrogant, bas-

But you didn't.

Sighing very deeply, you relaxed your arm and let it fall to your side. "Unfortunately so," your voice firm, holding your gaze sternly with his. "So don't test me, and answer our questions."

Calm. Calm. Calm.

That's all you could think about. Tintin suggested to continue the questioning of Max in a rather private place, at least someplace where they can't be eavesdropped. And Tintin and Captain vouched for your cabin, since it was rather secluded from most of the passengers.

You had to tolerate Max's ridiculous protests, but you pushed him into the space.

And now, you were even surprised all of you fit inside the small cabin of yours. With Max sitting down on the bed, Captain blocking the cabin door in case Max tries anything funny, Tintin standing by the side, you generally had not much space to stand in.

You couldn't sit beside Max, I mean, you've just met him! That would mean you'd have to squeeze in next to Tintin, which generally you felt uncomfortable to. But you shuffled beside him anyway. You suddenly heard a sharp yip close it you, and flickered your eyes toward the sound.

You saw Max shoving the white terrier further away from him on the bed, and he had to be thankful for you only saw him, or he'd be dead to Tintin. You shot him an irate look, to which he returned as well.

You only broke away from the death glare and nudged Tintin, who asked the first question.

"Why did you steal the book?"

Max hesitated at first, but then realizing he had no way out, you heard him sigh. "I've..." he started, staring at the floor. He looked up. "...been given orders."

Your senses fired up. "From whom?"

"I... I'm not sure. However, we call him Mr. N."

You and Tintin instantly turned to each other, positive the 'Mr. N' he was spilling about was Mr. Notus.

Captain this time interjected. "'We'? Are you saying you're not the only in on this?"

Max nodded his head. "I and Mr. N's henchmen."

"You know you don't have to work for him," You said.

"I am aware."

"Then why are you working for that criminal?!" You slammed your hand on the cupboard beside you, startling everyone by your outburst.

"I have my reasons."

"Then what are they?" you queried, trying to hide your voice heavily laced with contempt. The male hesitated telling you; it was a personal matter.

"I can only tell you what I want to tell you."

"You know that working with him will only harm you," You stated.

Then it was his turn to have n outburst. "It's not like I have any other choice!"

"From the ones we are giving you, Max, you clearly do!"

Max stood up, eye leveling with you. You two had a stare down, and you could feel the anger building up inside of you, with no intention to subside.

"Not when he has my sister held captive."

Hello starlings! Sorry for the short chapter, and I've come to notice that Mr. Notus is quite fond of kidnapping... Heh, but anyway, I'll try to update sooner! Thank you very much dear readers for the 500+ reads!