Chapter 21

A day had already passed when Tintin was first informed about Rancher's first appearance on the ship.

All four of you were currently stationed on the deck. Turning your back at the sound of the horn of the ship, you knew that land had to be near. Max tried to peer through the partially dense late morning fog on the sea, you also squinted your eyes to finally see the outline of a land. And when the fog began to clear, the port of Dover was finally seen by the passengers.

This is it, you thought. We can finally get Rancher off our trail.

Tintin was beside you, his arms behind his back.

"It seems strange to think that everything happened within the span of a few days."

His remark stirred a realization upon you. Until when was the chase for Mr. Notus and the treasure going to last?

"Yeah, time seems to pass quickly with all the clamor," you replied.

It wasn't long before you and the others were lugging your bags off the ship and coming into contact with the land of the U.K.

"Barnacles," you heard the Captain mutter. "This place is very different from Brussels."

You couldn't disagree. There were new faces, very peculiar clothing styles, and the new land felt very strange to you. However, you thought that the strangeness felt refreshing.

You and the others decided to get away from the bustle of the port and hoped that Rancher hadn't taken sight of you. After a short walk from the port of Dover, you found yourselves in a calmer street, where you could hear each other's voices more clearly. Everyone set down their bags for a while, in order to rest.

You glanced at the journalist. Tintin was holding a map, and you tilted your head, wondering when he found the time to grab a map after getting off the ship.

You dismissed the thought.

He was holding the map of the region with two hands, studying the parchment clearly.

"I suppose you're looking for the nearest airport," you said as you peered over his shoulder.

He nodded, but he turned to you, map in hand. "Yes, however it seems that to reach this airport, we would need to take the underground railway for a few hours. Would that be alright?" He looked up, asking you for confirmation.

You nodded as a yes. "Sounds fine with me," you said. "It could be quicker than a series of bus rides."

He smiled, and directed his question to the other two males, "How about you two? Does a long train ride sound fine?"

Captain gave a simple thumbs-up. Max shrugged, commenting, "It's not like I have any other choice."

So the decision was set. Bags were carried again as Tintin led the way to the nearest train station, with the map firmly in his grasp.

***

"We're lost."

Tintin scratched his head. "No, we're not."

"We're lost," Max repeated, in a more exasperated tone.

You were walking down a lane with numerous shops lined on each sign. There were cafes, bookstores, and antique shops, and lots more that you couldn't really identify from the hanging signposts. The street was also teeming with numerous people.

It had been around a half an hour of walking, with Tintin leading at the front, his view switching from the map to his surroundings. Snowy was greatly entertained by the new sights and smells. You watched as he bounded from side to side, as if he weren't tired.

"Max, we're not lost." Tintin answered curtly.

You skipped forward, matching your pace with Tintin.

"Tintin," you stated, "perhaps we should ask directions from a local. Maybe they'll know where we should go."

You heard Tintin sigh. "I'm sorry if I made us lost." You gave him a friendly pat on the shoulder, assuring him, "It's alright! I mean, we're all new here, so it's natural for first time comers to lose their way. Right, Captain?"

There was no reply. "Captain?" You said, looking behind you.

Captain Haddock was leaning against the glass window of a shop, his face almost pressed against it. Max was beside him, trying to tell him to follow you and Tintin, but Captain Haddock was glued in his place.

You walked over to the two. "What's happening?" you asked, as you peered into what was behind the glass.

Captain sighed, "That looks like a good bottle of whiskey."

You laughed, and said, "Every bottle of whiskey looks good to you, Captain." You pulled him lightly by the arm and guided him away from the liquor store.

And as for Tintin, he called Snowy, to which the terrier happily trotted over. "Snowy," the journalist began. "Don't wander too far from us, okay? Can't have you getting lost here in Dover." Snowy barked in reply, and Tintin scratched Snowy behind his ear, chuckling.

"Alright," you said, looking around. "Now we're going to have to ask someone for directions."

Max nudged your shoulder, as he gestured to a middle-aged woman on a bench reading the newspaper. "Maybe we could ask her."

You approached the lady, saying, "Excuse me miss, but may I ask where the nearest train station is?"

The seated female looked up, lowering her newspaper. "Oh, it's just small walk from here. At the end of this street, take a left, and you'll see some signs that'll indicate where it is." And she ended her statement with a polite nod, going back to her newspaper.

"Oh, thank you," you replied, your gaze drifting to the end of the street. Walking away, you relayed the directions the woman gave you to the males.

"Well then," Captain said, picking his bag he had set down on the floor. "Off we go now lads."

You cleared your throat, raising your eyebrows.

"Ah, right, and lass." Captain quickly added.