Chapter 6

Captain went inside, with you and Tintin at his heels. You couldn't help but stare at the insides of the mansion. The ceilings were high, and a lot of candles were lighted.

So classy.

You were oblivious to your surroundings until you bumped into someone. You turned to look, and it was Tintin. The boy smiled. You muttered a quick apology, and resumed to admiring the mansion, trying your very best in ignoring the butterflies that are taking flight in your stomach.

You began to feel your shoulders sagging, due to the weight of your box. You decided to put it down for a while, as Captain and Tintin are walking ahead. You wiped some sweat on your forehead, and then you reached down to carry the box again.

You were a bit dizzy, you couldn't say why, but you ignored the fuzzy feeling in your forehead. You refrained from carrying the box, and slumped against the wall. You clutched your forehead. What a splitting headache. Pushing yourself off the wall, you were about to catch up with the two, but your vision became blurry.

It began to darken, and you felt light on your feet. Oh no, you thought.

Then you blacked out.

***

You stirred, hearing voices.

"Is she alright? What happened to her?" the voice was a bit distorted, so you couldn't really identify who it was.

Another voice spoke. "She fainted because of exhaustion and now she has a slight fever, but don't worry Mr. Tintin, just let her have some rest and she will be well again."

Exhaustion? Oh, the few nights before you were tracking down a burglar, and you were very sleep-deprived before the burglar was caught by the police. And you remembered that you only had a slice of bread for breakfast.

"Poor lass," a third voice said. That sounded like Captain.

What sounded like Tintin spoke again. "I should have helped her carry that box. Ugh, it's my fault, Captain."

"No it's not. She might just be staying up late."

"I know, but –"

You opened your eyes a crack. You saw Tintin, Captain, and another one whom you assumed was a doctor because of the stethoscope he donned, were all around the bed you were in.

When Captain saw you awake, he exclaimed, "Thundering typhoons! She's up!" Tintin turned to you, his face relieved. "There's no need to shout, Captain."

You tried to sit up. Tintin dashed over to you, motioning you to lie down. Even though he was relieved you were awake, worry still creased his face.

"Are you okay, (y/n)? The doctor said you should get some rest."

Captain thanked the doctor for his help and dismissed him.

"W-what happened?" you asked, your hand reaching for your forehead. The headache was gone, but there was still a slight throbbing pain. And it feels a bit humid.

"Well," the captain said. "We turned around just in time to see you fall. Tintin, over here, was your knight in shining ar – blistering blue barnacles, Tintin! That hurt!" The captain rubbed his side, to where Tintin jabbed him with his elbow.

"Tintin," Captain continued, "Reached out just in time to catch you." The captain smirked. "You should have seen the look on his face when –Ow." Another jab.

"Let's not get into details, Captain." Tintin calmly said. He placed a hand on your forehead, which sent an electric jolt through your body. "You have a fever, (y/n). I'll get a wet towel."

"No! I'll do it." Captain said, rushing out of the room, leaving you and Tintin. You sighed. The last thing you needed was to get sick. Tintin still had a worried look on his face.

"How long was I unconscious?" you asked.

Tintin answered, "About a few hours."

"What time is it?"

"Around 7pm."

"I must have been really tired."

"You were."

"I'm sorry." You tried saying.

He looked surprised. "For what?"

"For being a burden right now."

"No, you're not a burden. I'll bring you some dinner." Tintin stood up and left the room.

He was acting strange. Tintin doesn't really answer in short sentences. You tried standing up, and the blood in your head started rushing down. You trudged over to the window and opened it. It was a chilly night, at least the cold wind helped your fever. You couldn't pinpoint the cause of Tintin's peculiar behavior, so you just hoped it won't affect the search of the treasure and Mr. Notus.

You decided to take off the trench coat. You draped it over a chair, and you rolled up your sleeves. It still didn't feel cooler, though. You pulled back your (h/l) (h/c) hair into a loose ponytail too. (A/N - sorry if you have short hair) our gun was in the pocket of your trench coat.

This fever was not helping at all. You decided to take a walk downstairs, in the garden. You walked gingerly out of the room. You were thankful of the Marlinspike Hall being big, chances of bumping into Tintin are quite low. So you just needed to take the right turns, and you could be in the coolness of the garden.