Chapter 26

After grabbing a quick meal that gladly satiated everyone's hunger (mostly Max's), all of you heard the announcement of over the airport's intercom. The speakers buzzed briefly, a voice spoke, and it was announced that a specific flight towards America had just landed within the airport grounds, with its location stated as well.

"Well," Tintin said, getting to his feet. "That's our flight."

All of you safely made your way across the concrete airport grounds, and the stationary plane finally emerged into view. The plane had already prepared the stairs leading up to the open plane door.

The said vehicle was still a minute walk away, and looking around, you had noticed that no one else was boarding the plane. It was just you, Tintin, Captain Haddock, and Max (of course, Snowy included) walking across the tarmac towards the plane.

"Hey," you said, looking to Captain Haddock. "Captain."

The sea dog looked over to you. "Yes, lass?"

"Don't you find it weird that we're the only ones about to board the plane? I mean, there's bound to be other people. But why only us?"

The captain gave a mere shrug, and replied. "Maybe we're just lucky; we have the plane to ourselves then."

Your features sported a troubled look, and you couldn't ignore the feeling that something was wrong. No one else was going to board the flight as you recalled the staff's words earlier in the day. Tilting your head in confusion, you remembered that this was the only flight towards America. Why weren't there any other flights? Why weren't there any other passengers?

Suspicion clouded your judgement.

The others didn't seem as wary as you did. You wanted to push your doubts into oblivion, but they only intensified as you stood at the foot of the stairs, watching the others board before you.

The pilot seems to sense your hesitance, and he called, "Come on now, don't want to keep your friends waiting."

You were the last one to board. Seeing Max's figure disappear from the entrance and further into the plane, you couldn't shake off the looming feeling of doubt, and you almost hesitated to board the plane as you climbed up the metal stairs. The person you assumed was the pilot, stood by the entrance of the plane, greeting you with a rather disconcerting smile.

Halfway up the stairs, you heard a series of peculiar grunts emanating from inside the plane, as well as Snowy's barks. You looked to the pilot for any reaction, if he had heard anything at all, but he stared back at you, his strange grin sending chills through your being.

Nothing. No response at all. You quickened your pace up the stairs, past the pilot with a deranged smile, and halted in your tracks.

A sharp gasp left your lips.

The sight before you was alarming as you stood frozen, feet planted in the middle of the walkway.

The bodies of Tintin, Max and Captain Haddock lay sprawled across the carpeted walkway, unconscious and still. You noticed another dark figure standing in the very same hallway. Ripping your widened eyes away from the bodies, your eyes trailed upwards to find a similar pair of worn-out dress shoes, a calloused hand gripping a dog's red leash harshly, and finally, a face which belonged to a person you didn't want to see so soon.

When you had thought that the chase within the train cart had granted you a safe escape from Rancher, well – you definitely thought wrong.

Acting on raw instinct the moment you saw his face, your hand moved towards your handgun, well-disguised underneath your trench coat.

"Stay right there!" you hollered. Your hand trembled against the trigger, and hearing your weapon rattle against your palm wasn't helping your apprehension. With your weapon trained on Rancher, you saw he didn't dare to move. But despite unmoving, a nasty sneer still made its way to present itself.

You hated the way he still seemed so calm and collected, as if he had everything under control. And, with a flicker of fear, you thought that maybe he did.

You had forgotten about the pilot.

You received a blow against your temple, the pain awfully harsh that you were sure it would burn into your memory, and stumbled forward, your legs giving away from beneath you.

Disoriented and fazed, your entire head practically ringing with immeasurable discomfort, the floor came rushing towards your vision, and you collided with it, as a raspy groan ripped through the air.

Your descent to the floor already left you gasping, the pain amplified by your aching head. You tried to pull yourself up again, but the world seemed to spin in and out of focus, your eyelids getting heavier by the second.

With eyesight flashing between light and dark, you couldn't identify whose figure was standing before you, perhaps it was the pilot with his deranged beam, and when you tried to stand and fight again, your head received another dangerous strike.

Your cry of agony seemed to be unheard.

You fell back to the floor, defeat slowly draining your strength. Pain racked your body, the hopelessness of the situation making you feel utterly worthless, and all you could do was watch the world slip into darkness, together with the bodies of your companions fade into oblivion.