Chapter 5

You entered the flat, only to be greeted by an alarming sight.

Your flat had been ransacked. Cabinets, shelves, and your precious little box were scattered across the room and were everywhere on the floor.

"No, no, no!" you cried. Apart from the research papers, there was one thing you had left in the memory of your parents. You emptied whatever was left in the box, and sighed heavily once your eyes rested on a family picture.

You held the small picture frame close. Tears rolled down your cheeks. Mr. Notus was going too far. He already kidnapped your parents, and now he's after the research papers! You felt Tintin's hand on your shoulder. "Hey, it's alright. We'll get the treasure, and bring Mr. Notus to justice. We'll find your parents too. I promise." You wiped your tears away and gave him a reassuring smile.

The ones he probably stole a few years ago were of no use to him, and he must have been expecting that you had some clues to where the treasure was. You glanced at the opened closet.

You set down the picture and went to the closet, avoiding the scattered objects. You called to Tintin for help.

"Tintin, can you help me push this closet?"

He went over you right away and went to the other side of it. He counted.

"On three. One, two, three," he said, while you and Tintin pushed the wooden closet, only to reveal a bunch of papers in a folder stuck to the back of it.

Tintin looked at you, surprised. You grinned, "I guess Mr. Notus' henchmen don't have any clue on how to ransack."

You peeled the folder off carefully, and held it up to Tintin.

"These are what's left of my father's research." You said, with a hint of sadness in your voice.

Tintin cast you a worried look. Snowy was busy sniffing the objects on the floor.

"What?" you asked.

Tintin, looking around, answered, "You can't stay here anymore. If they didn't find your father's research, they might come back."

You were confused. "What are you trying to imply, Tintin?"

The reporter smiled. "I have a friend at Marlinspike Hall who might help. Pack what you need, (y/n), you're going to stay with us."

You packed what you needed. You only had a box with you, so you repacked everything that was once in the box, and left the flat.

You went downstairs to bid goodbye to Ms. Lark. Tintin was behind you as you knocked. "Ms. Lark?" you called, and the white wooden door opened, revealing a woman in her 60's wearing an old-fashioned blouse with her brown and a little bit of white hair.

A bright smile was always on the old lady's face, which was one of the things you adored about her.

"Hello dear," she said. Then she caught sight of the young journalist behind you.

She cooed, "Who's this young lad? Are the two of you together?" She asked Tintin.

You were taken aback by Ms. Lark's words, and your face went red. You turned to look at Tintin with a slight rosy pink dusting his face, evidently embarrassed by what the flatowner said.

"N-no, ma'am, s-she's my f-friend," stuttered the reporter. Snowy yipped.

Ms. Lark nodded, with a strange smile on her face. Then she turned back to you.

"What brings you here, (y/n)?"

"I'm moving out, Ms. Lark, and I'd like to thank you for the hospitality you gave me when I first came here." You sincerely said. A caring smile was on Ms. Lark's face as she replied, "You're very welcome, dear. Take care."

Outside the flat, you hailed the taxi while Tintin held your box. "Marlinspike Hall, please," you told the taxi driver. Once he nodded, you and Tintin boarded the vehicle. It was a quiet ride, since the both of you were embarrassed of what happened earlier. The terrier was sleeping on your lap; he'd already taken a liking to you.

You looked up, to see Tintin looking out the window. Was he still thinking about it?

"That was embarrassing," you said.

Tintin turned his head. "Indeed it was. I mean, did your flat owner really think we were a... you know?"

You laughed. Tintin cocked his head. "What's so funny?"

After laughing, you told the reporter, "You were still thinking about what Ms. Lark had mentioned earlier, weren't you? For when I said 'That was embarrassing', I didn't really state what it was, yet you answered about it."

Tintin facepalmed. "Ugh," he muttered.

You chuckled. "Relax, I was just teasing. Caught off-guard," you said.

You guys arrived at Marlinspike Hall. Alighting the taxi, you stared at the large mansion before you. It had an incredibly large front yard, and the view from the outside really took your breath away. The mansion was painted white, and there was a carved figure of a stone fish just above the doors.

Tintin knocked on the large wooden doors.

"Tintin," you asked, and your grip on the box tightened. "Are we in the right place?"

The boy gave you a smile, saying, "I'm very sure we are."

The doors were opened by a tall butler holding a tray of an empty bottle of whiskey on his hand. The white dog bounded in, almost causing the butler to trip.

"Nestor," Tintin greeted. "Is Captain here?"

"He is," Nestor replied. "Shall I go get him?"

Tintin nodded.

You managed to get a peek inside the mansion. The floors were of marble and there was a wide and long flight of wooden stairs covered by large red carpet.

You set down your box since your arms were getting sore. Minutes later, a large bearded man appeared wearing a black cardigan and dark blue sweater, along with a captain's hat with an anchor emblem on the front of it.

"Tintin," he said, his Scottish accent evident in his voice. "What are you doing here? And who's this young lass? Are you two a cou-"

Before the guy could even finish his sentence, Tintin exclaimed, "No! We're just friends, captain."

You tried to stifle a giggle from Tintin's reaction.

"Right," the guy said. "That's what they all say."

Tintin continued, gesturing to you. "Captain, this is (y/n). (Y/n), this is Captain Archibald Haddock."

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Haddock." You stuck out your hand as he shook it.

"Call me Captain. The pleasure's all mine. Come on, let's go inside."