Chapter 3

29 June 2018

This morning Josh decided that I needed a surprise and I found it really annoying that he wouldn't tell me where we were going. He led me out on the street and down in the subway.

"Where are we going, Josh?" I kept asking but he wouldn't answer.

We got off at Rue de Vile. We walked for a few minutes and then Josh dragged me into a tiny store on a corner.

"Here we are!" He announced.

"What is this place, Josh?"

"It's a book store, the best in Paris."

"A book store?! So not impressive, Josh."

"Just wait and see."

"Alright, alright." We went inside and he led me up a very steep stairwell. It looked very much like an attic. It was big and had shelves lined up against the walls. There were a few broken bottles on the floor, but nothing too bad. We picked out some books and started reading them aloud to each other with funny accents. We read, laughed and joked for hours. I felt so at home right here, with Josh. Suddenly I just stopped thinking. I got out of the chair that I was sitting in and walked the 2-3 meters to where Josh was sitting. I pulled him out of his chair and he had a surprised look on his face. When he was fully standing I leaned over and kissed him tenderly, but I couldn't feel him kissing me back. That's when he pulled away.

"Les, I can't do this. Us. It would never work. You're my best friend and I can't have a romantic relationship with my best friend. Besides the paparazzi would go absolutely crazy when they see us because we are known to be the crazy and funny co-stars from What doesn't kill you and I can't handle that right now. I'm sorry Les."

I just looked at him like somebody had just punched me in the stomach.

"But I thought..." I began.

"I know I've been sending you mixed messages, but, Les I'm engaged."

"Engaged? Josh, why didn't you tell me? I'm your best friend." I started to sob "Why would you keep that from me?" Now I was crying. He began to embrace me in his strong, muscular arms, but I pulled away.

"Just don't touch me" I yelled at him. Then I stomped down the stairs and left the store. I felt the breeze hit me as I pushed the doors open. Then I collapsed against the wall and started crying even more. I knew it was wrong, to have feelings for my best friend, but I couldn't help it. I tried to shut out the feelings I had for him. But no such luck. Engaged. The word kept going through my mind like poison. He was engaged. I tried to process it. What kind of girlfriend would let her boyfriend run off to Paris with his best childhood friend? A good one, that's who. I felt somebody slide down next to me, I knew it was Josh. He didn't touch me and stayed a good meter away from me.

"Now we are even," I said. He gave me a knowing look and I knew that he remembered the night I broke his heart just as well as I did.

What was, 15 May 2013

"Cut!" Francis yelled. "Well done everybody!" The last 2 days I had spent running around the jungle with Emma. Today was a day to reshoot and so we did. We redid the kiss scene and a few other scenes as well including one where I was half buried beneath the sand. Josh helped me out of the sand I was half buried in. He drags me up and I bumped into him and felt our lips connect, I quickly pulled away, though.

"Sorry." He quickly said.

"It's okay," I replied.

"Leslie! I need to speak to you!" Liz called. Liz was another one of the main actors along with Chloe who played my younger sister and Woody who had another major role. She made her way over to Josh and me.

"Leslie, can I talk to you in private?" She asked glancing at Josh.

"Sure!" I smiled. "What's it about?" I asked when we had made it away from the set and was seated in Liz's trailer.

"So," Liz started. "I want you to help plan the party."

"But We'll first be wrapping up in 2 weeks and then there's all the interviews and conferences that take at least a month! So why start to plan it now. Besides, it's always Francis who directs the planning." I told her assuming that she was talking about the end of filming party we have when we finish a movie.

"Not that party!" Liz laughed. "Josh's birthday!" She tells me still laughing.

"Oh! right! I exclaimed while smacking my palm against my forehead.

"We're throwing a surprise party for him, here on set!" Liz explained excitedly.

"Why on set?"

"Because with a number of people attending we wouldn't be able to fit the party anywhere else."

"Okay, so what do you want me to do?"

"Well, I've talked to Francis and I got permission. All you have to do is get him off set early the day before so we can prepare and then bring him the next day. And then, of course, i need your help with planning! So, are you in?"

"Of course! Anything to make Josh happy."

"Good! Chloe, Emma, Woody, and Andrew are helping as well. We have our first meeting in Chloe's trailer after filming tomorrow."

"Great! I'll be there" I get up and exit Liz's trailer. I see somebody walking towards me, it's Francis.

"So, you're in on the surprise party?" He asked.

"Of course!" I respond. I see Josh moving towards us and quickly signal for Francis to go.

"Hey, Les!" He calls.

"Josh!" I call out before taking off and jumping onto him and he catches me.

"You act like you haven't seen me in years!" He laughs.

"Feels that way too," I complain.

He hugs me and then places me down on my feet again.

"Wanna go watch the sunset" He suggests.

"Sure!"

We walk along the beach until we find a satisfactory place to sit. We just sit there and watch the sunset. It's so beautiful. I put my head on Josh's shoulder and eventually drift off.