Chapter 11: Stupid hope

Lewis' POV

Trudging through the thick jungle undergrowth, I sighed. Simon was whining about the lack of jaffa cakes, and Duncan was just acting like a stroppy teenager. What was I even doing here? Sure, Ridge was a good friend to me now...he usually came to visit me every fortnight to talk about things, and he would make sure everything was working in the factory. But was I willing to risk my life for him? I guess I had no choice now, since I can't go back. 

"What's wrong, Lewis?" Ryan asks. He was only a young kid, but he was taking all of this surprisingly well. Though I had heard him crying a bit last night, and it kept me awake enough for me to comfort him. I guess he saw me as bit of a father figure. Ridge and I didn't look the same in the face, but we wore the same kind of design of clothes, so maybe that was why he reached out to me. He seemed more relaxed when I was there, and Tia noticed that. Robin was fine, of course, now that her and Deamon had pretty much become a couple. 

"Just thinking" I reply, withdrawing my hand from my trouser pockets to pat him on the head. He smiled at me, and looked away. "Thanks for coming with us Lewis" I hear Tia say quietly. She didn't look at me directly, she was too busy focusing on the path ahead. But when I nodded, she nodded back. "You're welcome. Ridge is my friend, and no one else would step up." I say, almost purposely looking at Simon and Duncan. 

"We were going to anyway" Sjin smiles. Sips gives him a look, and Sjin nudges him. 

Liam and his group were separate from us, just by a few metres. Ever since Tia and Liam found out they were brother and sister, it had caused something to shift in their friendship-they were more distant, and hardly daring to believe it at all. The Ryan from Team Crafted was trudging behind Tato and Ashley, both of which were talking quietly and blushing. Sky marched on ahead with Liam, determined to find Deadlox and Mitch.

Tia seemed to be calm, to be honest. At first, I thought it was because of the kids, but as time went on, I could tell she was becoming more withdrawn. She was probably thinking about what was happening to Ridge. Now that I think about it, what WAS happening to Ridge? Were they torturing him? Was he...going insane again?

"Tia?" I ask, separating myself from Simon, who had been moaning behind me and I hadn't been listening, and Duncan who had been strangely quiet. "Mm?" she hummed, glancing at me as I walk beside her. "Is Ridge going to go insane again and kill everyone?" I ask nervously. Simon stops his whining, and all ears instantly prick to attention.

She's quiet for a long time. "I really don't know" she says finally. The sun was beginning to sink behind the clouds again. We'd been walking for ages without a break, and my stomach growled. She cocks her head at me with a smile. "Guess we should stop to eat" she muses. Nods of agreement all round.

Liam and Sky were reluctant to eat, but as soon as we mentioned food, their stomach's both growled. "I'll go hunt some pigs or something. Start making a base" I command. I was kind of sick of Tia and Ridge being in charge all the time. "I'll go with you" Tia sighs. "It's fine Tia" I assure her. "We have to stick together or else Mexxy will take one of us again" she says clearly, making sure everyone heard her, before she went on ahead. 

Simon got up and followed me, and so did Sky and Liam. Tia flew up into the air, scanning the tree tops, before she flew down and led us to a herd of cows. We got on with the work quietly until we all had food to bring back. Tia fashioned some leather boots, and put them on, strutting around like a peacock, especially when she found a skeleton and got some bones for bonemeal. She grinned at her new white boots, and whined when she got dirt on them, and decided it would be best if she floated from now on. 

Liam stayed quiet throughout all this. Tia was obviously trying to lighten the mood and failing. When I slaughtered the last cow, the blood sprayed onto her boots, decorating it like a leopard print. She glanced down smugly, and continued to fly around, trying to crack jokes and lighten the mood. When it failed, she sighed and looked down. "Nevermind" she sighs, before turning round and instantly backing up.