Chapter 2

Chloe’s orange Ginger cat stared at me with his big blue eyes. He sat with me on the couch while Chloe decorated my house with some of her things to make it look like that she lives here. I’m not afraid of cats or dislike them, but there was something about Tayvon that scares me. I think it’s his eyes. I’m not used to seeing cats with blue eyes. I mainly see them with yellow eyes. Having him next to me made me nervous.

“Don’t you have a hobby, Tayvon, rather than stare at me?” I asked him.

He let out a meow and continued staring at me.

Suddenly I was wracked hard in the arm. I looked up to see Chloe walking pass me. I rubbed my arm.

“Ow, that hurts. What was that for?”

“Stop teasing Tayvon.” Chloe stuck out her tongue. She picked up her cat and sat down beside me with Tayvon sitting on her lap.

I gave her an innocent look. “What? I’m not teasing him.”

She flashed me a smile. “I know.” She moved closer to me. “You know I can’t believe that for someone who fights crimes and does daredevil stunts, you’re afraid of cats.”

I blush. “I’m not afraid of cats. I’m just afraid of Tayvon.”

Chloe laughed. “You’re unbelievable, Noah.”

She put her cat down on the floor. She then turned to me and cupped her hand on my face, kissing me passionately. We continued to kiss even when the doorbell rang, not wanting to answer it.

“We should get the door,” I said in between the kiss.

“Let them wait.” Chloe moved to unbuckle my belt but I stopped her.

“Chloe, it’s probably Chief Parker. He isn’t going to like it if we are too busy screwing each other on my couch when we are supposed to be focusing on an assignment.”

Chloe stood up. “Okay, but can we do it later?”

I smiled. “Sounds good to me.” At least sex would keep my mind off everything that happened last month.

Chloe went to answer the door. I followed behind her. Standing at the door was our boss with the sisters in front of him. I greeted them with a warm smile, hoping it will make them feel welcome and more comfortable. I could see how uncomfortable Marley look. It was like she didn’t trust Chloe or me. I guess I couldn’t blame her. After what she saw, who could you trust? J.J. didn’t seem so nervous like her sister. In fact she seemed annoyed that she had to be here.

Chief Parker introduced the sisters to us. “My niece Chloe and her husband Noah will be taking good care of you. You will be staying with them for awhile until we catch the killer. You will safe here with your sister here, Marley. I promise you that nothing is going to happen to either of you.”

Marley nodded her head slowly.

J.J. rolled her eyes. “Do we seriously have to stay here?”

I was about to say something but Chief Parker beat me. “You could go somewhere else, J.J. but I honestly think that you both will be safer here. It’s for your own protection until the criminal that is after Marley is captured.”

“Well why do I have to be protected? I’m not being chased after by anyone.”

Marley turned to her sister. “Why do you always think about yourself and not even care that I could be dead right now after witnessing that murder?”

“Well, it isn’t my fault that you witness it.”

I stared at Marley and noticed some tears in her eyes. I couldn’t believe how her sister was even acting towards her like that. Eric and I have never treated each other like that. Even after Dad was killed he wouldn’t treat me like that, especially when I’m now his guardian.