Chapter 13

A thousand lies ran through my head as I tried to come up with something to tell Chloe when she asks about my car. I didn’t want her to know where Marley and I had gone to. But no matter what I thought of, I couldn’t come up with a good lie to tell her. She would know I’m lying.

I gently shook Marley. She opened her eyes slowly and turned to me. I greeted her good morning.

“Morning.” She sat up.

“How did you sleep?”

She smiled. “I slept well with you right here next to me.” She leaned over and pecked me softly on my lips.

“Hey, I was thinking if you would like to go get something to eat for breakfast before anyone wakes up.” I didn’t want to tell her that I was avoiding Chloe.

“What time is it?”

“Five thirty. Everyone should get up soon so we should probably leave.”

“I have uni this morning, Noah.”

“I know. Let’s just get something to eat.”

Marley agreed. We both got off the couch and went to get change into fresh clothes before getting into my car. I decided to take her to this café in town that I sometimes go when I can’t be bothered to make breakfast.

“Do you know what you’re going to order?” I asked once we were seated down at a table for two.

“I’m thinking of waffles,” she said, glancing at her menu. “You?”

“I’m thinking of having the big breakfast meal with scramble eggs, bacon and a hash brown.”

“You know what? I will have that too.”

I chuckled. “Are you sure you can eat that much?”

“Of course I can.”

“Oh yeah? Wanna bet?”

“Fifty bucks.”

“Make it a hundred bucks.”

“Deal.”

We ordered our food and ordered our drinks as well. The waitress came back with an orange juice for Marley and a coffee for me.

“Do you think Chloe would mind us going out to breakfast together?” she asked me, taking a sip of her drink.

I shook my head. “No, I don’t think she will mind.”

“Have you thought of what you are going to say to her about your car?”

“No. I don’t know what to tell her.” I took a sip of my coffee.

“Hey, you know what we should do sometime? I should take you to dinner at the restaurant I work at.”

“That sounds great. What do you do there?”

“I work as a waitress. My boss has left me off work for a month after what happened.”

“Yeah, I think it would be nice if we could have dinner together.”

The waitress came back with our food. I picked up my knife and fork, cutting the bacon. We continued chatting as we ate and just as I was about to put a forkful of scramble eggs into my mouth when someone stood beside me, calling my name. I looked up to see Kale. I hadn’t seen him since the day I returned to work.

“Hey Kale. Care to join us for breakfast?” I asked him.

He shook his head. “No, thanks. I actually came to talk to you. Can we talk outside?”