Chapter Forty Six: Usual Suspects

It's not that we don't care,
We just know that the fight ain't fair
So we keep on waiting
Waiting on the world to change

John Mayer – Waiting For The World To Change

It was their first day off together in over a fortnight and Grace was determined to enjoy every single second of it. The sun was shining down on her as she sipped from her cup of Starbucks taking in the world around her. She had caught herself doing that a lot lately, admiring the world.

Ever since they had gotten back from Barcelona two months before, she had been looking at the universe in a completely different way. Spending a few peaceful days happy and uninterrupted had worked wonders for her psyche. There was a serenity inside her that she had never felt and she was sure that Don was the main cause of it. That man had saved her life once upon a time and now he had healed the fractures that had been ripped into her soul.

"We could have sat down you know, so you didn't have to eat and walk." Grace commented with a smile as her husband folded the pizza slice in half in order to take a bite out of it without dropping any of the sauce onto his charcoal grey button up shirt.

"Nah, it's too busy in there and besides I know know how much your enjoying being outside in the sunlight." he told her, moaning in delight as he chewed on the pizza.

"True enough." Grace said, shaking her head as she watched Don eat. "I don't know why you love that place so much, I hate the pizza from there."

"That's because they put crushed carrots in the sauce, you think it's too sweet." Don explained, dusting the flour off his hands. "The crust is perfect and that doll, with the right amount of cheese is what makes the perfect pizza."

Grace pulled a face at the mention of carrots causing Don to roll his eyes light heartedly. Her pretty grey gaze came to rest on the window of the shop behind him as her facial expression softened. Don tilted his head to see what had caught her attention.

The window of the shop was full of baby clothing and accessories. There were baby-grows, toys, pacifiers and the tiniest set of booties he had never seen. He felt his own heart melt a little at the possibility of their own child wearing something that small one day.

They had never talked about children, not in the six years they had been friends and certainly not in the four months they had been married. He was enjoying life with Grace as his wife but he did feel from time to time that they were missing something more. He longed for a child of their own one day yet he had been concerned with bringing it up with his wife. They had taken a huge leap four months ago and he didn't want her to feel pressurized if she wasn't ready. He could wait if that's what she wanted, he wasn't going anywhere.

"You've been thinking about it too huh?" Don said, reading the profile of Grace's face before her hair fell over her delicate features.

"Maybe." she shrugged, before digging her hands into the pockets of her black woollen jacket as she stepped away from the window.

"Your freaking out." Don commented, quickening his step to keep up with his wife.

"The truth is I don't want you freaking out." Grace murmured, causing Don to reach out and grasp her arm lightly in order to slow her pace.

"Whoa doll, freak out about what?" Don exclaimed, his startling blue eyes lowered to her stomach. "Are we..."

Grace raked a hand through her loose hair before closing her eyes and exhaling before she answered.

"I thought we were a few weeks ago but we're not." Grace said quietly, wrapping her arms around herself as she looked away.

Don placed his hands on her arms, stroking up and down as her shoulders sagged.