05.

“Chloe please come out” I pleaded, softly banging on her door. “Dad wants to talk to you please come out.” I leaned on my sister’s bedroom door. 

Still nothing.

As soon as I was about to give up, Chloe’s door had creaked open. The room was dark and dead silent.  It wasn’t so quiet except for her curtains flowing from the wind outside.   

I checked behind the door to see if Chloe had opened the door.

She wasn’t there.

I gently switched the lights on but there was still no sight of Chloe.

“Chloe?” I said, walking closer to her empty bed. I went toward her closet to see if she was there.

As I got closer, the sound of whispers got louder and louder. I leaned against the door to hear what those whispers were saying.

All I heard was “I’m scared.”

Over,

Over,

And over again.

I gripped onto the knob of the door, bracing myself from entering the closet.

“Chloe?” I repeated.

The whispers stopped. The curtains weren’t flowing anymore.

“Darcy?”

I relaxed a little, relived that my sister was okay.

"Are you okay?” asked, letting go of the grip of the door knob. 

“I’m scared.” She answered. My eyes widen, chills traveled down my back.

The whispers before weren’t from her.

“C-Chloe, are you alone?”

“No”

I panicked and grabbed the door knob once again and twisted it to open.

The door was locked.

“Chloe, open the door right now. Who is in there with you?” I said firmly.

“A friend” she said it in a whisper this time.  

I furrowed my eyebrows and noticed it was probably an imaginary friend.

“What’s her name?” I didn’t worry so much, poor her I guess.

“…Marie”

~

I paced around my room with my phone against my ear, ringing for Joe to pick up the phone.

“Hello?” I guess that I woke him up from how raspy his voice is.

“You’re right.”

“What do you mean?” His voice sounded alarmed.

I looked around my room as if there was someone listening to my conversation.

“Chloe has… powers” I whispered at the last part.

“How’d you find out?”

“Long story short, she told me she was talking to Marie.”

“Isn’t that your birth mother’s name?”

“Yes! That’s the whole point Joe!”

“Okay, let me get this clear, you heard your little sister talking to an imaginary friend that ironically had the same name as your birth mother that died before you were still in her stomach?”

“Yes.”

“Maybe it was imaginary and she decided to name her friend Marie.”

“But that isn’t such a common name! No one from her class has the same name as Marie.”

“That doesn’t mean anything.”

“Well to me it means a lot. This isn’t the first time she has did something weird

“Let’s keep waiting for more evidence to see if she really does have powers”

“Fine. Let’s do a week. If she doesn’t do anything, she doesn’t have powers. If she does, we are going probably have enough proof.”

~

“I’ll be passing out your test from last week... I was a bit surprised with some of the grades...” my biology teacher remarked. She looked through the test papers and gave a glare at me.

She walked toward me and slammed the test’s answer sheet on my desk, faced down. I looked up at her then at my paper. I slowly flipped over the paper to reveal my test score.

A 35%.

Not like I am a person who always gets good grades in school.

 I just never get 35% as a grade. 

After my teacher had finished passing out the papers, I felt like drowning in an ocean.

She said that we had to get it signed by our parents…

I think it’s because to get the signature of my parents.

~

I got home at the same time as usual. Not feeling as great as always.

I simply put my stuff down and hung my coat in the coat rack. I looked around the living room and the kitchen for anyone but I guess I’m home alone.

I was so wrong.

“HARRY!” Daddy’s voice screamed in pain. I jumped in surprise, not expecting that.

I heard Daddy screamed once more but muffled this time. I wondered if I could check up on him to see if they are okay…

But then I remembered the first time I did that, I learned the hard way about Dad telling me to never enter their room…

I sat down in the kitchen table to start on my homework. Besides, it was better than working upstairs with all that screaming.

For about a few more minutes into my homework, Chloe came down the stairs with a face like she has just woken up.

She sits in the seat next to me without saying a word. Then she looked up to me and said “Darcy, is Dad and Daddy okay?”

I nod.

“How do you know that?”

“Because… they love each other. So much.”

She whispers a small “oh” and gets up to grab her coloring book with her crayon box. She returns to her seat and starts to color a page.

“I talked to Marie”

Right away, I stopped what I was doing.

“What did she say Chloe?”

 “She told me to tell you she loves you.”

________________________________

IT HAS BEEN SO LONG.

MERRY (VERY) LATE CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEARS TO EVERYONE.

I would also love to thank all of you guys for getting so much reads on this book and on Two men and the little Darcy.

Keep voting for more chapters soon!

Kisses ~ Kari