Changes Everything

Diva's POV

    Lee and I waited out on the porch at six-fifteen waiting for Jamar to show up. I tapped my foot to the song that was coming through someone's window. It was a beautiful day out and not too hot to make you sweat a lot.

    Lee looked through my duffel bag of clothes and grinned profusely. "Its nice and all but...I just noticed something. You're...curvy and I'm skinny. Everything you wear will be baggy on me." I groaned. She was right. And pining it up would look tacky.

    Placing the duffel bag back into the house, I returned with Lee's bag of new clothes and set it in front of her. "I'll put something together when we get to...our destination. Where are we going, anyways?"

    "This guy named King's house. Jamar told me he had a nice place so we just decided to have it there. But its all the way on the west side; nearly forty minutes away."

    "Well at least we got Candy Crush Saga." I said gleefully. I pulled out my phone and started playing, but Lee didn't.

    I paused the game and looked at her. A lone tear tread down Lee's face. I shoved my phone back and my pocket and wiped her tear away with the side of my forefinger.

    Grabbing her hands, I peered into her bloodshot eyes. "What's wrong?"

    Lee shook her head and sniffed. I haven't seen her all shaken up since she saw a man get shot in Mexico two years ago. But I was sure she still cried every once in a while.

    I tipped her head to look at me and frowned. Now Iwas close to tears.

    "Lee, tell me."

    Lee breathed. "W-what if...what if I'm making a huge mistake? What if I'm not ready for marriage, let alone engagement?" Lee's face clouded up. I had to give it to her real.

    "Do you love him?" I asked, repeating what she had asked me yesterday. "I'm pretty sure I do. He treats me right. But I don't know too many things about him. Like what his job is. Or-"

    "Do you want to spend the rest of your life with him?" I probed. Lee bit her painted nail and thought for a moment until she finally nodded. I couldn't ask her any more.

    Suddenly, a sleek black Denali truck pulled into the parking lot and a burly man stepped out.

    He was wearing a tight shirt and True Religion jeans. "Baby, you didn't dress up?" Lee asked as she kissed him on the lips while standing on her tiptoes. This must have been Jamar.

    Jamar grinned and bit his bottom lip. He ran a hand through his fresh cut hair. "The suit is at King's place, beautiful."

    Turning to me, Jamar shook my hand and stepped back. "Mar, this is Diva; also known as Shorty. And Shorty, this is Jamar Becklem."

    Jamar's eyes widened as he nodded. He jammed his hands into his pocket and gestured to the car with his head.

    We got in.

    King's house was beautiful. It was the opposite of Donte's. Donte had a more modern feel to his home and it didn't feel family-oriented.

    However, King had a wall full of old family photos that were placed in glass frames. His house was all brick and the landscaping was beautiful.

    Flowers lined a curving path to the front porch that winded all around the house like a deck. The grass was neatly manicured and high bushes surrounded the perimeter of King's front and backyard.

    We walked through the house and I could already hear the booming music. A few people were in the up-to-date kitchen drinking wine and champagne but mostly everyone was in the backyard. A wooden dance floor had been nailed into the grass and a few were dancing to the slow songs.

    "Baby, where's the bathroom?" Lee asked. She didn't want anyone seeing her without looking glamorous.

    Jamar pointed down the hall to the last door and told her he will wait. I noticed him staring at me oddly but I sucked that feeling down. It was no big deal, right?

    In the bathroom, Lee slipped off her ring and I told her to put on a dark red scoop-neck dress the flared out at the bottom of her torso. It stopped in the middle of her knees. I smiled and freshened up my hair.

    I picked out her diamond earrings that was inherited from her grandmother and she also put them on. She looked fabulous in the heels encrusted with diamonds.

    Lee decided to wear her hair down and I was perfectly fine with that. The only problem was that her nape would be sweaty and unkissable.

    Walking down those back porch steps, all eyes were on us. I had a sick feeling in my stomach. Felt like I could puke any minute.

    People cheered for the bride-and-groom-to-be. They showered her in flower petals.

    Lee looked astounding. Her smile shone the brightest even with the sun out. I was proud of her because she was always the type of girl to push men away.

    The pain in my stomach grew larger by the minute. I tried to stop it but it kept coming back. You know what it feels like before you burp? Like your going to throw up but instead you don't? It's a simple burp. That's how I felt. Just two times worse.

    Jamar and Lee danced to "Halo" by Beyonce. Jamar gazed at Lee like she was the only girl in the world. At least someone was having a happy ending.

    The food finally came and everyone sat down at three picnic tables that were pushed together to create one. Everyone was hitting it off well until Jamar looked up and stared past me.

    His eyes flickered to me awkwardly and then back past me. I turned around and there he was.

    Donte.