Seppuku

Diva's POV

   I received another phone call from Lee's brother on the way to her house in Helen's car. Donte hadn't let me use the car he bought me when I left and I was fine with that because this car was practically the same as my old one.

    Answering it, I set the phone on my lap.

    "Wassup?" I asked.

    "Meet me at Atlanta Medical Center."

    "Listen, don't be orderin' me around this damn city when you know these gas prices be through the roof." I snapped. I was frustrated with everything in my life and I knew deep down that I shouldn't be snapping at Marshall/Michael like this. 

    "Diva, I need you. Lee just tried a suicide attempt and she's in the psychiatric ward."

    "S-Suicide a-attempt?" I sputtered. The car veered in and out of lanes. What the hell, Lee?!

   By the time I got there and met up with the family, the doctors had told us that they had to pump her stomach and put her in a medically induced coma.

    When she wakes, she'll have staff watching her since she's on suicide watch. I began to cry. Why did everything in my life have to be so screwed? I couldn't go a week without shit going down.

   Marjorie couldn't make it this time. She was across the country on a business trip and so was Lee's no-good pa.

    Her ma's shoulders slouched and trembled as she sobbed into the palm of her hands. I could only pray that Lee got better.

   I knew it was because of Brandy's death that drove Lee to do this. And the call earlier...

    It all connected.

    She wanted to hear my voice for a reason! She knew and planned to kill herself.

    And I was so wrapped up in my own drama that I didn't even catch on.

    To be honest, I was felt guilty.

    Anthony learned against the wall. I knew he wasn't taking this well. I wrapped my right arm around him and sighed.

    "We'll get through this." I whispered. He shrugged my arm off and gave me a mean-mug. "Where was you durin' Brandy's funeral?"

    I'm surprised that he is on it. "Lee didn't tell me the location or date. I wanted to come but–"

    "If you cared then you would've stopped by and asked for yoself!" He said, raising his voice. I started to get defensive.

    "I ain't saying that I don't care cause I do. But I got other shit on my plate." The words sounded less selfish in my head.

    Anthony nodded and looked away. "Yeah, like yo dead baby."

    Something in my heart literally ached. How did he...what?

    By now, the twins and their ma were looking at us.

    "Um, excuse me? How did you find out?"

    "Lee told me before she did what she did. And that ain't the point. You care too much about yo own damn self!" He snapped.

    Lee's ma smacked Anthony upside the head and scolded him. Abruptly standing up, Anthony disappeared into the elevator.

    "Don't listen to him, Diva. He just mad." Their ma said. She had tears in her eyes. I nodded but went after Tony anyways.

    Outside, I looked both ways. I could see smoke floating into the air from around the corner. I slowly walked down the sidewalk and there he was, a lit cigarette in his hand.

    Anthony was leaned against the well, his head in between his knees.

    When he looked up, he grimaced. "What are you doing here?"

    "You shouldn't smoke." I gently pulled the cigarette but he held onto it. "You didn't answer my question."

    Becoming fed up, I growled lowly. "Look here, other folks are hurtin' just like you but guess who's hurtin' worse: Lee. I didn't mean to not show up at Brandy's funeral and I apologize for being selfish and not being there for y'all when y'all were there for me all those times." I slid down next to him, my all black leggings getting dirty from the cement.

    "Anthony, look at me." He obeyed. "I was wrong. I should have saw it coming." My voice cracked. I didn't want Anthony to see me in a vulnerable state so I turned away.

    A minute later, I got a tap on my shoulder. Anthony held out a fresh cigarette. I hesitated but took it anyways.

    He lit it and stuck the lighter in his pocket. I closed my eyes and inhaled, not letting the butt pass my teeth. I let the smoke stay in my mouth for my while. And then I exhaled.

    "I'm sorry. I was out of line for real, for real." Anthony said.

    There we were outside of a hospital...smoking. Two minors, one fifteen the other seventeen.

    "That's alright. We all are overwhelmed."