Godsend

Donte's POV

    Donte caught my eye and stepped back. I couldn't believe it. He was here and no one told me.

    I frowned. He had to be kidding me. Something in me told me that Jamar knew Donte was coming.

    But how did he know that his presence would affect me in the way it did? Jamar never even met me.

    After regaining his calmness, Donte sauntered over to the table and gave Jamar some dap. "Wassup, brotha." Donte said. He hugged Lee and then looked at me. I stared at my bowl of green beans like it was the best thing in the world. I did not want him here.

    Lee sensed my panic and grabbed my hand under the table. I breathed. I would not let this man ruin my day.

    Donte sat across from me with a plate and started eating. Maybe if he kept ignoring me, I could get through the evening. The sun was starting to go down but it was still bright outside, clearly not explaining my mood.

    I held my stomach. The pains were back.

    "I thought you'd be bringing your boyfriend up here..." Donte said in between chews. I glared at him and then the stomach pain was unbearable.

    Running inside of the bathroom, I puked in the toilet. My throat burned as I felt a familiar hand on my back asking if I needed to be transported to the hospital.

    Lee.

    I wiped my mouth. I hated ruining this day for her. "No, j-just go back outside. I'm fine."

    "No you're not." I puked again, this time choking.

    And then another few set of steps. It was Jamar and Donte. I groaned inwardly. So now Donte wanted to be nice. He could save it for one of his new hoes he probably had on lock by now.

    My chest heaved up and down. I didn't know what was wrong with me. Donte leaned down next to me, concern in his eyes. His mouth was set in a straight line. "What's wrong, Shorty? Was it me," He asked worriedly. "I'm sorry, baby. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to."

    I wasn't sure what he was apologizing for; nearly strangling Xavier to death or ignoring me.

    I shook my head. "I don't think its you."

    Donte helped me up and wiped my mouth with a wet tissue. He kissed my forehead and we headed for the door. "Wait, where are we going?" I asked. "The hospital, baby. You're sick."

    "I'm not sick! It was a one time thing. I was probably allergic to something."

    "We can't be too sure." Jamar said. Lee had tears in her eyes. Was she mad at me?

    "I'm sorry, Lee." I said. Lee nodded. "Its fine."

    I watched the couple from Donte's truck as we drove all the way down the street silently. I was put of energy to be yelling at him.

    "I wanna know what happened between you and that guy," Donte said quietly. "Thought you loved me."

    "I do...nothing happened. We were talking."

    "Well then why you hide if you so innocent?"

    "I'm not innocent. I should've never went to lunch with him. But I knew you'd act a fool if you saw me with him."

    "Is it that guy that I heard on the phone? When I dropped you off at yo mom's?"

    "Yeah. We were...we were talking about how our moms wanted us to date and stuff. I told him I was taken by a wonderful guy."

    Donte raised an eyebrow. "'Wonderful'? So nothin' happened?"

    "Of course not." My eyelids felt heavy.

    At the hospital, we waited for the doctor to return after running tests on me and getting my bladder sample.

    Donte was pacing around the room, every so often staring at me. Finally, the doctor came in, a smile stretched across her square face.

    "Oh, Ms. Anderson! I have very good news for you both." Dr. Sanchez said. I leaned up on the sitting table and managed a strained smile.

    "You're pregnant, my dear! You're pregnant!"

    And just like that, the world stopped. Everything in the room became awkward. Dr. Sanchez wasn't expecting me to cry, but I did. I couldn't believe it. Donte had gotten me pregnant. I knew it was Donte.

    I wasn't ready for kids. I was thinking maybe in the future when I was ready to settle down then I'd consider it but...

    "I want a DNA test when its born." Donte snapped. Dr. Sanchez blinked. She didn't see that coming and neither did I.

    I stood up from the table and walked up to him, anger rushing through me.

    "You think I slept around with him?!" I growled. Donte shrugged. "It shouldn't matter if you're innocent."

    "I ain't no fuckin' cheater, Donte! I thought you believed me?"

    "Well if you ain't no cheater then you shouldn't be worried 'bout the test, right?"

    "You trippin'." I grimaced.

    After Dr. Sanchez told us that I had an appointment in November to get a sonogram, we left the hospital. Donte started headed down the road to his house. "Where you think you goin'? First of all, take me back to the party. Second of all, I'm not stepping foot in your house."

    Donte gripped the wheel. "You. Have. A. Baby. Now."

    "So I can't have fun?" I asked with my arms crossed. Donte barely looked at me. He just kept driving. "Okay, so I see how its gonna be, Donte. We keep fighting and I'm sick of it!"

    "You're sick of it?! No I'm sick of it, Diva!"

    I never heard him call me by my real name. He must have been pretty angry. "I didn't do anything wrong, Donte."

    In his driveway, I pouted. I was not getting out of the car or going into his house.

    And just then, I got a call. It was an unknown number. "You gon' answer it?" Donte asked expectantly.

    I put the phone to my ear. "Hello?"

    "Diva. Diva, this is Xavier."

    "Xa-Lee?" I tried to code out his name by calling him Lee. Donte wouldn't expect anything. Why would he be calling me? And how did he get my number?

    I needed to drive him away. He already caused me enough problems.

    "Hey Lee, I'm pregnant!" I said. Donte did a double-take.

    "Diva, its Xavier. Who's Lee? I just wanted to tell you...I broke up with my girlfriend."

    "I know right. And I have a long list of girl names in my head right now!"

    There was a pause on the other line and then he said, "Look Diva. I'd like to see you again. Anytime tomorrow would be fine. We could go to a different place or something. I just need you right now..."

    "Um...that's cool." I hung up quickly and stepped out of the car.

    Donte pampered me the rest of the day. He made me soup and massaged my shoulders. But the tension was never lifted. It was always there...so thick you could barely breathe.