Quietus

Diva's POV

    Donte massaged my feet a week later, a bowl of grapes sitting on the glass coffee table. I leaned my head back and sighed. This was the life.

    His hands trailed up my legs and I smacked them. "Aye, you still on punishment." I warned, a smirk in the corner of my lips. We had somehow gotten back to where we were at before.

    I guess the pampering softened me up a bit.

    Donte chuckled and got on top of me. I could tell he was turned on. I was too, but I had a baby. A baby.

    "Donte, quit it." I said in-between laughs. Donte kissed my neck and cheeks and my lips, pulling my crop-top up. He squeezed my breast softly knowing that my pregnancy would make my nipples sensitive.

    His tongue did wonders in my mouth as I ran my fingers up and down his spine.

    And just then, the phone rang.

    "Damn!" Donte said. I tried to reach for the phone but Donte held my hand. "Donte, stop. I really gotta get this."

    "No you don't, baby."

    "Stop." I pushed him off of me and answered the phone. "Hello?"

    Ma had been calling me nonstop leaving angry ass voicemails because I hadn't shown for her dinner. She was pissed. Threatened to cut me up and shit. But I didn't care.

    "Fuck you! Imma always regret having a daughter like you!"

    "Build a bridge and get over it! How fucking long ago was that?" I pressed the 'End' button and groaned.

    My cell phone rang again. This time, it was Lee. I answered the phone with an angry "hello".

    "BRANDY IS DEAD! OH MY GOD, BRANDY IS DEAD!" Lee's voice was enraged, scared, and devastated. I didn't know what to say except, "I'll be there in thirty minutes."

    I ran to the living room and slipped on Levi jeans and a pair of sandals. Donte looked at me and stood up too. "What's wrong?" He asked apprehensively. "Lee's sister just died."

    "Want me to come witchu?"

    "No."

    "Good, I got some business to handle." Donte grabbed his keys and we went our separate ways.

∆∆∆∆    ∆∆∆∆    ∆∆∆∆    ∆∆∆∆    ∆∆∆∆    ∆∆∆∆    ∆∆∆∆

Donte's POV

    I had to take Marcus school shopping. I'd been putting it off for way to long and I needed something to make me happy after reliving slavery with Shorty...

    Marcus was sitting on the couch in his Sketchers Light-Ups drinking from a juice box. "Hey big boy!" I said. Marc's eyes lit up as he ran up to me and I caught him in my arms.

    I had four things in my life that I truly loved: My momma, Shorty, my money, and Marcus; just nit in that particular order. This dude was my boy.

    "Hey, daddy! Mommy said you takin' me to da mall today!"

    "I am. Go get a shirt on." Marc was in a T-shirt with juice stains all over it.

    Marc ran to his room and out came Deadra in a little ass dress. "This how you be walkin' 'round here?" I asked. Deadra shrugged. She was still angry at me for laying hands on her ass. I didn't care though. She deserved it for her smart ass mouth.

    "Yo, when you want him back?"

    "Around seven. I got shit to handle." Deadra replied. She poured herself a cup of wine and downed it in one gulp. Pouring herself another glass, I moved towards her and took the bottle. "Yo, ass gon' be drunk up in this bitch tryna kill somebody." I scowled. Deadra sniffed and a tear ran down her cheek.

    I'd be lying if I said I cared because to be honest...

    I didn't.

    But I still asked her what's the matter.

    "Me and Marc is movin'. We gettin' outta here. I'm takin' my hard-ass-earned money and we leavin'." Deadra blurted out.

    I knew I couldn't hear her right. Moving? I didn't give a shit if Deadra was moving, but not with my son!

    I was half-tempted to hit her again but I controlled my anger. I didn't want Marcus to see me fly off the handle. I clenched my teeth and stood my ground.

    "Why?" I asked.

    "Who wanna live here? Its all about the kingpins and the money and the drugs and shit here! I," Deadra poked her chest. "I wanna have a life that ain't based on illegal shit!" Tears strolled down her cheeks.

    "Not. With my. Son." I snapped. Marcus came back in with a Spiderman shirt on. "You a big boy. Go put on a better shirt." I told him to get more time to smack some sense into this woman.

    Marcus obeyed.

    "That ain't yo son!" Deadra shouted. But by the look on her face, I could tell she didn't mean to say that.

    All life was sucked out of me.

    I was angry. Confused. Angry. Sad. More angry. I choked Deadra and threatened for her to tell the cops about me putting my hands on her again. She nodded. I choked her so hard, I didn't even hear Marc's crying.

    I looked at his wet eyes. Picking him up, we headed outside but before I could fully close the door, Deadra said, "His name is Patrick Ramirez!"