Awake

Diva's POV

    "Lee's awake." Her mom stated, a sparkle in her eye that I haven't seen in a long time. I felt tears threaten to spill. She was finally awake. And healthy...or at least as healthy as a suicidal person can get.

    I hurried into her room, unable to control my excitement. I missed her voice and her jokes.

    "Lee!" I whispered. The tears finally escaped. My knees felt like jelly, like I needed something to keep myself upright.

    "Hey..." Lee said, her voice raspy. Her lips were chap, her hair was greasy, and she looked oddly thin.

    All the color was drained from her face.

    It broke my heart but a part of me was just grateful that she was alive and the doctors saved her.

    "Why would you...?" I trailed off knowing that taking those pills was a touchy topic.

    "I don't know. I wanted to be with Brandy." Lee said quietly. She shook her head. I could see misery and sadness and depression on her face and in her eyes.

    "Think about what that would do to Marshall and Michael. And Tony and your mom," I began. "And me."

    "But I wasn't thinking; that's the thing. I'm broken, Diva. I. Can't. Go. On." Her voice cracked. I gripped the hospital bed railings, feeling like shit.

    "Everyday that I don't see her, it keeps reminding me that I won't ever my sister. We were rockin' it since A-one-day-one. And then she's ripped away... Hey, Diva, why do you think He does that?"

    "Who?"

    "God. Why do you think He steals people away?"

    I didn't have or know an answer to that. I never really lost anyone before that I was close to. I never had siblings and I never knew my grandparents since they disowned my mother as soon as she was pregnant with me.

    All I ever had was was Lee. And she was nearly taken away too.

    "Maybe because He wants them to be with Him?" I guessed.

    Lee nodded and sucked in a breath of air. "Where's Jamar? Did he ever visit me?"

    "Yeah. Once. He was really shaken up."

    "What about Donte? Where is he?"

    "Lee, a lot of shit went down while you were...in a coma. First off, I never told Donte about what happened. I didn't tell him about Brandy dying or you. And also, we broke up. We're done."

    Lee's eyes widened. And then she closed her eyes. "Oh..."

    "I'm with someone else named Xavier. Well not technically. Remember that night that I spent the night at your house and I left my phone?"

    "Yep."

    "His mom and my mom wanted us to be together. And I guess their wishes came true. He's really a good guy."

    "I wanna meet him when I get out of this hellhole."

    "When is that?"

    "In three days. I'm going to get counseling. People always talk about how they don't wanna get help and how that sucks and everything. But I want help. I want it. I wanna forget everything."

    "I love you, Lee."

    "I love you too."

    And I was on my way back to Xavier's house feeling happy and miserable at the same time.