Closure

Xavier's POV

The next day, I drove over to Elizabeth's apartment, slightly nervous. I haven't seen my ex in so long; I didn't know what was up.

What if she had another dude living with her just like I had another woman living with me?

Miraculously, I still had the key to her apartment.

Walking up the steel steps and unlocking the door, I called out her name.

"Elizabeth?"

"I-I'm in here." A weak voice replied. I hurried into her bedroom with the blood red sheets and the black and white curtains.

Liz lay in the bed, bruises spotting her face.

My heart dropped and my hands shook with anger and confusion.

"What the hell happened to you?"

"I sent Heaven to my mom's house. She knows you're picking her up today."

"We might have to postpone it. Who did this?" I forced myself not to hug her weak body.

"Heaven saw some messed up shit. I didn't know he'd do that..." Elizabeth sobbed silently, her shoulders going up and down, up and down.

I didn't know what to think or...

"Is it the same guy that I-"

"Yes. Yes. I still gave him a second chance. I was so dumb. So-so stupid for bringing him into this household."

Darkness washed over me.

But I couldn't do anything about it, the guy, I mean.

He was probably long gone. I couldn't get revenge if I wanted to.

"Do you need anything? Call the police?"

"No and no. I don't want to call the police. And I don't need anything whatsoever. Just rest. Xavier, I'm truly sorry. I'm such a bad person. I'm a cheater. But our love was...long lost."

All she said was right. Except the last sentence. I was confused. I loved her. Hell, I was in love with her. Her jet-black hair, thin body, beautiful smile.

I didn't really care if she was white or green or even pink. Everyone that I thought were my friends had teased me about being with a Caucasian lady but I didn't care. It wasn't about that.

Everything about Liz was beautiful. But this was ugly.

"Why do you feel that way?" I asked.

"I don't know. We never made love. You never complimented me. You never gave me your time like you used to. At the beginning, you-you did everything. And then it just went downhill."

"And you never cared to tell me about those flaws? I thought I was the perfect one for you. I didn't know that I had things to excel in...I'm sorry."

"It's too late for that. And it's far too late for us to be thinking that we could fix things because we can't."

I had finally come to a decision talking to her. "I think we should just focus on Heaven. That's all. I'll pick her whenever I need and want. She's my child too. But it's best she stays with me for a while linger. Ya' know, until you get on your feet."

I was trying to break apart from the connection that me and Elizabeth held. Had held. But it would take time I didn't want to use Diva as a way of doing that either.

Forty minutes later, Heaven was hopping into the backseat of the car, her bags set and ready.

"How's mommy?" She asked. Her dark brown hair was pulling into two ponytail braids; she looked so innocent. I just prayed something like that didn't ever happen to her or my niece, Alia.

"She's fine. She misses you."

"I miss her too. What are we doing?"

"Picking up Alia from the airport."

Heaven squealed and danced in her seat, the seatbelt restraining her from doing the Sprinkler dance.

"Good! I got my Barbie set in my bag right here," She leaned over and smacked a pink suitcase. "And you're gonna play with us too!" Her eyes sparkled with genuine delight.

"I'll be Ben." I said, referring to a random guy-doll.

"You mean Ken? Who the cheese is 'Ben'?" Heaven giggled and soon after, she fell asleep. We had a long ride.