Chapter 19

As soon as I saw Calum walk to the mailroom I shut down my computer, grabbed my purse, and ran.

I knew he was going to be upset when he found the necklace in his mailbox and I didn't want to deal with it.

As I drove away from the police station I noticed my heart pounding in my chest and the adrenaline coursing through me.

I was ridiculous.

I reached the corner store and walked inside to see Kate.

"Hey." Kate greeted me with a hug. "How are you holding up?"

"Well I just ran from Calum because I put the necklace he gave me in his mailbox and i'm terrified of facing him."

"Nice." She nodded.

"God, he made me so mad yesterday when he pulled the kid card on me." I sighed.

"Yeah that was not okay."

"I don't want to see him at lunch."

I was nervous the entire morning and after the lunch rush I was coming back out from the store room when Calum burst through the door, a wide eyed Luke, Michael, and Ashton following him.

"Seriously?" Calum held up the necklace. "You just put this in my mailbox and then ran?"

"I don't need it anymore." I said as I walked behind the counter.

"You're being ridiculous!"

"I don't see the point in wearing it if we're not dating anymore!"

"Well we could solve that if you'd just forgive me and get back together with me!" He shouted.

"Don't yell at me!"

"Guys stop!" Kate tried to calm the situation.

"If you won't get back together with me then just take the necklace!" Calum held out the necklace.

"No."

Calum's nostrils flared as he inhaled angrily.

"I told you I was sorry but apparently that means nothing to you, so i'm done. Have the damn necklace." He tossed the gold chain at me before storming out of the shop.

When the door slammed shut I let my back slide down the wall as I began to sob.

This was the first time I had cried about our breakup.

"Oh, Ness." Kate said and I felt her arms come around my shoulders. "It's going to be okay."

"No it's not." I cried.

"I'm going to talk to Calum." I heard Luke say and a few moments later heard the door open and close.

"Maybe you need to take the rest of the day off." Kate suggested.

"I can take her home." Ashton said after a few minutes.

"That's a good idea. I drove her this morning and her car is still messed up."

I suddenly felt myself being lifted up and opened my eyes to see Ashton holding me.

"I've got you, come on." He gave me a smile,
but I just continued to cry.

Ashton carried me outside and to his truck, sitting me in the passenger seat.

I put the seat belt on but leaned my head against the windows, my tears dropping onto the glass.

He kept quiet as he drove me home and when we arrived at my house I got out myself and walked up to the door, Ashton following me.

"Nessa." He said and I looked at him. "I'm so sorry."