Chapter 11

I mindlessly rub my head again. The bump is gone so that's good, but the cut in my cheek is still fresh. I run my tongue over it and wince slightly. The sound of the ocean crashing against the shore and the seagulls cawing catches my attention. I look out of the little window in the room and see the birds flying low over the ocean, often swooping down to grab an abandoned sandwich or a bit of popcorn. I could practically feel the heat radiating off of the window pane as I lay my arm next to it. 

It wouldn't hurt to go outside. 

I put my shoes on and grab my book just in case and almost run into someone on the way out. I look up and step back instinctively. Sans' face is hard to read. It's mixed with multiple emotions: pain, annoyance and finally, regret. I swallow and look down, brushing past him and dashing down the steps and running out of the door. 

It's been three days since our fight. Sans had found me laying on the beach, barely awake and brought me back inside. He patched me up but we didn't talk and when he was done, he went straight to bed. Over the next few days, we hadn't spoken a word to each other. I was mad yes, but I was starting to miss him. And as much as it irritates me, I want to talk to him again. We barely look at each other, only occasional glances but then we quickly look away. 

We haven't even gone to the boardwalk. 

Everyone's starting to notice the tension between us but thankfully, haven't questioned it. Sans tries to sit as far away from me as possible during dinner but sometimes, he's stuck with sitting across from me and the only place to look is our dinner plates. 

It's getting annoying really. I want him to fess up and say that he's sorry. Hell, he could beg for my forgiveness and look as pathetic as he wants. But there's always this nagging question in the back of my mind: Will I forgive him? After what he's done, should I? To be honest, I'm desperate. I don't want to lose what we had-whatever we had. That bond that we shared. I can't afford to lose. But, he's hurt me. 

I sit down on the porch chair and groan, running my hands over my face. This is all way too much. Dammit, I thought this was suppose to be vacation. 

"(Y/N)!" 

I turn to the door and see Frisk pushing open the door and taking the steps two at a time. They run over to me and pull my arm. "I wanna go walk on the beach, come on!" I smile and let them tug me off of the chair and away from the house. 

We talk about small things: Their day surfing with Chara and Asriel, how lemonade was invented, and why cake is better than just a cupcake. 

"Do you know when a tidal wave is coming?" Frisk pipes up. I shake my head. I notice that their skin is darker, their usually light, yellow skin now a crisp brown. "Tidal waves give you a warning-it pulls away from your feet and the shore. And then all that stuff hidden in the sand is there. You know, like all of those weird items like drift wood, shells and even fish." They reach down and pick up and shell, flip it over and then throw it back in the sand, "I get that feeling, like something big is coming."

I trip over a shell and stumble before finding my balance. They're feeling that too? That feeling? Sure the thing between me and Sans was "big" but I still have that weird nagging in the back of my head that there is something more. Something worse. 

I shake my head to rid the feeling and look out into the ocean. It's a little past Sans and I boardwalk time. The sun is barely visible above the shoreline, the stars starting to make their appearance in the dark sky. This is the closest I have been to the ocean all summer. 

We hear voices call our names and we turn towards the house to see Chara and Asriel running towards us, still in their beach get-up. 

"Mom said that we could come out here and search for crabs if (Y/N)'s willing to watch us." Chara says, slightly out of breath. I open my mouth to deny but Chara is already tugging my arm, "Great! Lets go!" Frisk and Asriel follow after them as Chara begins to dig in the sand.