Chapter 17

I deflate as I finish. It feels like a 200 pound weight has been lifted off of my shoulders, like I can finally stand straight again. Frisk curls into me, sniffling as Chara continues to mess with my fingers. Toriel sniffs and wipes her eyes in with her paw. Sans and Asriel only stare, even the doctor and nurse we listening in. 

Toriel walks over to me and embraces me. My eyes sting and I bury my head into her fur, refraining myself from bursting into tears. But that was thrown out of the window when I feel three pairs of child-like arms wrap around me. 

I let my emotions out as Toriel rubs my back in a comforting manner. They don't blame me. They don't think it's my fault, I can feel it. 

They forgive me. After all of the lies I told them, they still find it in their hearts to forgive me. 

Stars, I'm so happy. 

I pull back from them, Chara and Frisk still remaining at my side. Toriel wipes my face and kisses my forehead softly. I smile and turn to Sans. He gives me a reassuring smile. 

"Listen to me when I say this buttercup," He says gently.

"Despite everything, it's still you." 

*~*

"(Y/N), may I have a word with you?" 

I stop messing with my bandages and look up at Toriel. She motions to the downstairs with a tip of her chin. I hop off my bed, my notebook and pen falling off of my lap. I don't move to pick them up and follow Toriel downstairs into the living room. 

Surprisingly, it's empty or maybe Toriel shooed them all off. I don't know why though, we could have just talked in my room since Sans wasn't in there. Maybe she just wants some "proper" place to sit. Or she just wants to sit on her big, comfy chair. 

"My child, I have been wondering about something since we had found you and Sans so far from the house and boardwalk."

Crap, I knew this was coming. I sigh and try to look around for a can of beans but came up empty. Looks like I can't Mable Pines this one. 

"Well, I guess I'll start from the beginning."

I begin all the way back-eve though it was only two weeks ago- at the dinner table where we had brought up the topic of the riots and how Toriel and Asgore had acted strange. That was had started all of this. Then I fast-forwarded to the newspaper article and the circled ad. Then to the late night phone calls and then to the fortune teller and then to this point.

Toriel listens intently throughout my story, humming in understanding or nodding. Sometimes her eyes would widen when I revealed something we had found out. 

And when I finish, she smiles and laughs. What? She continues to laugh while I grow even more confused. Eventually, Toriel stops laughing and places a paw on her chest.

"Oh pardon me, my child. But I somehow find it amusing that you would think that we were selling the house!" 

Okay, now I'm even more confused, "Huh?"

She smiles, "My child, S15 was for a friend. He's been having some trouble where he lived and we decided to help him out. We are not, and never will, sell this house."

Well that's a relief. Sort of.

"But why did you and Asgore act so strange about the monster riots?" I ask. Her smile falters for  a bit and she looks down, "Why do you think, my child? The monsters are our children." 

I snort, "Even Sans?" Toriel blinks before exploding into a fit of laughter, "Y-Yes. Even S-Sans."

So it was because that they were only concerned for the monster's well-being. They weren't hiding something-not really. Once again, I was right. Eat it Sans.