Chapter Seven

A/N: THIS PART IS KIND OF SHORT BUT THE LAST ONE WAS SUPER LONG, SOOO... I THINK IT'S OKAY.

I wake up when its still dark. Bard is awake, and I touch his arm. "Why aren't you sleeping?" I ask him.

He looks at me with tired eyes. "Someone has to take the first watch."

I feel guilty. "I'm sorry, Bard. Go to sleep, I can watch now."

He nods. "Thank you."

He falls asleep with his head on my shoulder. I watch his face as he sleeps. He looks so much younger, the creases around his eyes are much less noticeable. I reach over and gently touch his cheek. It's freezing cold. I close my eyes and speak quietly in Elvish, still touching his cheek. The air around us warms up, and his skin is no longer cold. I continue running my fingers over his face, his forehead, his jaw, the slope of his nose. I only wish I could do something to take away the pain in his heart.

The rest of the night passes slowly.

I look out at the vast mounds of snow, making sure our shelter stays warm and dry.

When the first weak rays of the sun start to peek over the hills, I take another look at Bard. He is still fast asleep, and I don't want to wake him. Something tells me that he doesn't get enough rest.

The sun is glinting in his tangled dark hair, and I feel something squeeze my lungs, making it hard to breathe. It always seemed to me that Bard would be coming to Mirkwood with me, and living there. I realize now that as soon as I am back home, he will go back to his lonely, painful life in Lake-town.

I squeeze my eyes shut, and keep my hand on his hair, stroking it lightly.