Part Forty

PART FORTY

I consider looking to see if the Elvish boats that Legolas, Tauriel, and I used, but I am almost positive that they took both of them.

We find a wooden boat that looks big enough for all of us. Daneya and I step in, and I hold out my hand to keep Fili steady.

He pulls his hand away, and his shoulders heave in a sigh. "I'm sorry, Areya. I promised Kili that once I rescued you I would go with him to Erebor. He wouldn't listen to me when I said I had to go with you."

I crease my brow. "You had to go with me? Is that what you think?" It would be a lie to say I wasn't upset, but I try not to let it show through. "I wouldn't have made you come if you didn't want to, Fili."

His eyes are downcast. "I did not mean it in that way, Areya. I would have come with you, because I wanted to."

I smile softly and put my hand on his shoulder. "Goodbye, friend."

He smiles back. "Goodbye."

"With any luck, we will meet again."

I swallow hard and grab the two rough oars, beginning to row. Fili watches us leave, then lifts one hand in farewell before turning away.

I blink back the sudden, salty tears that have appeared in my eyes. Daneya gives me a sympathetic smile. "It will be alright, Areya. I feel in my heart that you will see him again."

BARD'S POV

My heavy eyes force themselves open, and I blink in the sudden light. The floor beneath my feet rocks gently, so I must be on a boat. Strong ropes bind my wrists and ankles, and a gag is shoved into my mouth. I push it farther to the front of my mouth and spit it out. Gasping in large gulps of fresh air, I look around for my captor.

Long, pale hair, icy blue eyes. Calm, regal voices. Elves. From Mirkwood, no less. I curse myself and my stupid selfishness. If I had only let go of my foolish pride and gone with Areya, I would still be back in Lake-town.

What must Areya think of me now? Surely she is halfway to the Lonely Mountain by now, with Fili and Kili to make her smile and laugh. No apology from me will ever make things better between us.

AREYA'S POV

The oars cut through the lake, with mist rising up and creating clouds in the clear air. I pause for a moment, and wipe the cool sweat from my brow.

A sound of metal on metal makes me turn my head, and I find Daneya holding a sharp knife against her own neck.

"What are you doing?" I cry, and step forward to remove the knife. She smiles at me, but it is cold and unfriendly. "I am not the bargeman's sister," she says. "I am his wife."

A/N: WHOAH!! PLOT TWIST!! THE IDEA JUST CAME TO ME WHEN I WAS WRITING, AND I THOUGHT THAT IT MADE THINGS A LITTLE MORE INTERESTING! -Natasha