Part Twenty-Eight

PART TWENTY-EIGHT

BARD'S POV

Fili and I are kneeled beside Kili, who has passed out again. His skin is chalky white, his hair and face drenched with sweat. I put another damp cloth on his forehead, hoping it would cool him down a little, but it's done nothing to help.

By the look in Fili's face, I know that Kili hasn't got too long to live. A couple of hours, at most. I start to call for Sigrid to bring more medicine, but Fili stops me. "It's no use," he says. "The same thing will happen. He'll feel better for an hour or two, but then it will come back."

"But it will give him longer."

His eyes are sadder than I've ever seen them. "I'd give anything for him to live, but it will only make him suffer."

A creak at the door makes us both look up.

The face of the most beautiful woman I've ever seen is looking through the door. I jump to my feet. "Areya? Why aren't you back in Mirkwood? I thought you wanted to return more than anything."

She smiles sadly. "I did, but I realized it was more important to help the dwarves than keep my position as a guard. Staying would have made me queen, but I don't think I could have lived there any longer, much less helped to rule the kingdom."

I nod slowly. "The king asked you to be his wife." In all truths, I am surprised she did not accept his offer. Queen of Mirkwood must be a rare opportunity indeed. "Why didn't you accept him?"

"I don't love him. And I don't think I ever could." She steps further into the house, than catches sight of the two dwarves. "What happened?" she says, shock in her voice.

Fili steps forward and bows. "Fili, at your service." She nods her head.

"Areya of Mirkwood, at yours."

Fili turns back to Kili. "My brother, Kili, has been shot by a black arrow. The poison has already gone into his bloodstream. He hasn't got long to live."

AREYA'S POV

Fili's blue eyes are wet with unshed tears. Does the strength of dwarves mean that they will not cry? Elves don't feel emotions, but over the past few days I've learned that maybe that doesn't apply to all elves.

I can feel Bard watching me, and I blush slightly. I try to focus on the injured dwarf instead. After looking at his injury, which is swollen and black, I turn my eyes to Fili's. His are full of unspoken hope, and I cannot bear to tell him the truth. But I must.

"I- I don't know any healing skills to help him," I say, my voice cracking. I barely know these two, but it is clear they have already been through much suffering at their young age.

Fili's head drops onto his knees, his shoulders shaking ever so slightly. I have never felt so hopeless, so weak, in my life. "Areya!" Tauriel's voice comes from the doorway.

I look towards her. "It's no use, Tauriel. Get Legolas and go back home. I will continue this quest alone."

Her eyes blaze as she crosses the floor to us. As soon as she sees Kili, her brow creases sadly. This must be the dwarf she loves. He is handsome, for a dwarf, with thick dark hair and a shorter beard than most.

Tauriel puts her hand on his wound, then begins muttering softly. Not surprisingly, she knows many healing incantations. I leave her to her work and turn away. Fili grabs my arm in a painful grip. "What is she doing to my brother?"

"It is alright, Master Fili. She is only healing him. Perhaps elves aren't as bad as your uncle thinks they are."

He lets go of my arm. "Perhaps not. But that does not change what they did at Erebor, so long ago."

"I know it doesn't. But that was long in the past, and we are not like our king."