Chapter 12

Meryl and Don were standing out with the family at the graveside, waiting to start the burial, and waiting on Auntie J. "We just came straight here from the church. Where could she possibly be?" Harry Jr. said, being irritable and beyond emotionally exhausted at this point.

"I'm sure she'll be here soon, Daddy. You never know with Auntie." Meryl tried to tease to ease the tension.

"This is one day you think she would have her shit together." Harry hissed, surprising both Meryl and Don and her brothers and their wives. Harry was always so laid back, but he was doing everything he could not to break down at this point.

"I have my cell phone in the car. Why don't I go call and see where she is?" Don suggested as his wife gave him a weary smile.

"That would be helpful sweetheart, thank you." She sighed in relief as her father gave them a little smile and shook his head.

"We'll stay here." Dana said knowing Don wouldn't want to leave Meryl alone, even though the whole family was around.

Don looked at Meryl and she smiled to show him that she and the kids would all be okay. "Okay, thanks."

***

Don was walking back the family while he called Auntie J, and sighed when she didn't answer. Not knowing she had parked in the wrong place and was already making her way over to the family. Just as Don was about to turn around and rejoin the family, something caught his eye off in the distance. He saw what looked to be a lens of some sort poking out from behind a tree. It didn't take a genius to figure it out, especially when he looked to see where the lens was pointed-his wife and children. PAPARAZZI. Don's blood boiled as he carefully walked behind where that person was standing and grabbed them by the shoulder, shoving them against the tree.

"What in the hell?" The person gasped.

"Yeah, what the hell is right." Don hissed as he took the camera off the pap's neck and ripped the film out of the camera and destroying the film.

"What is this about?" The little weasel said trying to squirm out of Don's hold, but it was no use. He was too strong.

"I don't know what the fuck you think you're doing, but you are not welcome here. I STRONGLY suggest you leave now before I press charges." Don said sternly.

"That was how I was going to pay my rent, dude. That babe of an actress, Meryl Streep, is here. I heard her mom died so I'm going to get some shots of her crying-for real. Pain sells!" The 20 year old obviously had no idea who he was talking to.

"You will NOT take pictures of her or her family, sell their pain. That is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard. If you go near her or her family I will have you thrown in jail. The District Attorney of Manhattan happens to be among the mourners." Don said only inches from the kid's face.

"Who do you think you are?" The snot-nosed kid flipped back.

"Her husband and your worst nightmare if you test me. LEAVE...NOW." Don said pushing the kid away and watched him stumble off in a hurry, when he knew he had crossed the wrong person.

"Tough guy." Meryl said walking up behind him.

"Babe..." He began. "I came to call Auntie, who didn't answer by the way, and I saw that kid pointing his camera at you. I know." He said raising his hands to her before she could say anything. "I promised to not start anything with Mann, this wasn't him, it was a paparazzi. There was no way in hell I was going to let him shoot pictures of you...our kids...the family. I don't want you mad at-" Don's words were cut off as she tenderly pressed her lips into his.