Chapter 35

Carl Raymore was sentenced to 30 years in prison as well as a permanent injunction to protect the entire Gummer family. Don and Meryl were continuing to heal from the latest blow; which brought them closer than ever. The next week and a half flew by for the Gummers as they planned their vow renewal and Don healed physically. Because of her brothers and their families they decided to have their renewal on Christmas Eve, and to keep it as small as possible. Neither Meryl nor Don talked to his mother. Whenever she would call the house Don refused to answer and didn't want Meryl to talk to her either. Luckily, she never seemed to call when the children were home so they didn't have to explain it to them. Don and Meryl knew that the kids wouldn't even question why his mother wasn't there for Christmas, as she never went anywhere without her husband and their grandfather hardly ever came to the house. Don of course invited his brothers but unfortunately with all of their holiday plans they were unable to go out to Connecticut. Don and Meryl of course understood. Don had told them he would have it recorded for them. All that mattered was that their kids would be there and they would recommit themselves to one another- having her father and her brothers and their families there was icing on the cake. They wished Roy and Larry and his family could be there but they understood. They had the rest of their lives to celebrate.

***

Don walked into the family room on Christmas Eve and saw his beautiful wife sitting cross-legged on the sofa staring out to the lake, talking on the phone. "Daddy remember, Dana and Mary are going to pick you up and bring you over here? No they can't stay, you are going to stay here with us for Christmas. I know, Dad, one of us will take you home. We want you here. No Dad, Don and I are renewing our vows and we want you all here. Remember? Yes, I did tell you that. No don't worry about dressing up, it's fine Dad, all that matters is that you're here. We'll see you later, love you, bye."

Don walked over to her and kissed her cheek. "He doesn't remember the plans?"

"No." She shook her head. "I talked to Auntie earlier and she is worried about him. She will be gone for a few days, so I am going to try to keep him here as long as possible until he absolutely insists on us taking him home. You're still okay with that?."

Don nodded as he took her hand in his. "Of course, I am. I think that's a good idea, you know he can stay as long as he and you want. I only want what's best for him."

"I know you do; thank you, sweetheart." Meryl smiled at her loving husband. "Auntie will be back in a few days, then we go on vacation with the kids, and then he will go to the doctor when we get back, and we can have a plan then."

Don was playing with her wedding rings. "Darl, we don't have to go on vaca-"

"Yes, we do." Meryl said cutting him off. "You, me, and the kids need this vacation desperately. We haven't all had a chance to be together after everything, we need to heal. My dad is incredibly important to me, but my brothers will be around. We really need this as a family. No more Kevin Mann. No more Carl Raymore. You have finally been released even though you still need to be careful. We're ignoring your father, and mother, for the time being. We are closer and more in love than ever. Life is getting back to how it should be, and I am just so incredibly grateful. Besides, I think Grace and Louisa need some normalcy. So no, we are NOT canceling."

Don couldn't help but laugh and smile at her words. "Okay, but however we need to take care of your dad we will. He's not going to the doctor until after we get back?"

"No, it was impossible to get him into the doctor before the new year. Auntie and the boys are going to take care of him while we're gone, but I will take over when we get back. That means I might be kind of busy, and will need some help." Meryl pointed out.