Chapter 17

Neither Meryl or Don slept much that night. They tried to sleep on the couch all night, neither of them wanting to go up to their bedroom since Mann had been in there-they weren't ready to sleep in there yet. They finally gave up and Meryl decided to make breakfast for the family, while Don showered. She wanted to make the day as normal as possible, though they both knew it would be one of the most unnerving days of their lives.

***

Don walked into the kitchen from checking in with Larry who told him there was nothing new and the plan was still on to find his two youngest daughters at the breakfast bar while Meryl dished them up breakfast. He was exhausted and he knew she had to be. He offered to have breakfast delivered or to go get breakfast but she refused. 1) She wanted things to be as normal as possible. 2) She knew he wouldn't take any of their guards with him in order for them to look after her and the girls; and after the things Mann said to her the night before she didn't want him without the guards or out of her sight.

"Eggs?" Louisa asked disgusted. "I hate eggs."

"Mom, you know I don't like powdered sugar on my french toast." Grace whined.

"Yeah, this breakfast sucks. Can't we just go get donuts?" Louisa asked.

"No, eat please." Meryl sighed completely worn out.

"We never get to eat donuts. Why do you always have to cook? I don't want this." Louisa pouted.

That was Don's breaking point. "Are you kidding me?"

"Don?" Meryl was shocked at his outburst, it was so unlike him.

"Your mother worked hard at making all of us a wonderful breakfast, and all I've heard are complaints. She is exhausted, always putting us first and you complain when she makes us a nice meal? Last night we ordered you pizza, but it wasn't from the pizzeria you wanted. You two need to learn to be thankful for what you have. Just wait until you get out into the cold reality of the real world. Grow up!" He barked as he went outside on the garden patio attached to the kitchen.

Meryl was shocked. That was not her husband. "DON?!"

"I'm sorry, Mom." Grace said.

"Me too Mama, I'll eat the eggs." Louisa said as tears welled up in her eyes.

"Thank you." Meryl replied as she went to kiss each one of them. "Daddy and I love you very much. You know that, right?"

"Dad was so upset." Grace said.

"He's never talked to us that way before." Louisa cried. Her father was the soft one, always giving them what they wanted.

"Dad is really tired, and stressed out. He is working hard to protect all of us. Neither of us slept very well last night. You know how you are when you're tired?" Meryl asked her while stroking her hair.

Louisa nodded her head. "You always say I'm crabby, and should be alone until I'm in a better mood."

Meryl laughed. "That's right. Daddy is just a little crabby, he'll be fine in a little bit."

"I know, Mom." Grace said as she smiled at her mother. She knew much better than the rest of her siblings of what her parents were going through.

Meryl kissed both of their cheeks. "You two eat your breakfast, and then go clean up. I'm going to talk to your father."

***

Meryl walked outside to their garden patio on the first floor only to find Don sitting on a chair with his head in his hands. He never blew up at any of their kids; which is one way she knew he was on edge. He was worried about her and all of the kids. Neither of them slept at all the night before, and she knew he was terrified something would happen to either her or the kids that day. Right or wrong, the girls took the brunt of his stress. She sat down next to him and kissed his head. "I come in peace." She winked as he looked up at her.