Chapter 34

It was the day after Don's birthday and Meryl was in the office catching up on bills and working on details for Christmas. Don still had to take it very easy, and be incredibly careful due to his injuries, so he was taking a nap after their busy day the day before. Meryl felt like they were finally getting their lives back after the past 3 months. Little did she know that their world was going to be rocked yet again.

***

Don took a deep breath as he went to look for his wife. He wasn't sure exactly what was going on but he wanted to make sure they were together whenever they found out. Don found her in the office and just stood there for awhile looking at her. They had without a doubt been to hell and back in the past few months. If you would have told him that when they moved back to New York City that by Christmas he would be more in love with her than he had ever been; he wouldn't have thought it was possible. Here they were, a few weeks before Christmas and he had fallen head over heels in love with her all over again. He would do anything to keep her and their family safe; now he was afraid he would have to do that all over again. He decided that he should probably make his presence known so they could go find out exactly what in the hell was going on. "Hey, beautiful."

"You're awake!" Meryl smiled as she looked up to see him standing in the doorway.

Don walked over to kiss her on the lips. "Come sit with me for a minute."

"What's wrong?" Meryl asked as he led her over to the leather couch in the office.

Don winked at her as she helped him sit down. "What makes you think something's wrong? Can't I spend some time with my beautiful wife without something being wrong?"

"I know you, Don Man." Meryl said.

Don nodded as he played with her diamond ring she was wearing that he only recently gave her. "Larry called my cell phone; that's why I'm awake. You know he's been working with the investigators on the hit and run."

"Did they finally find who did this to you?" Meryl asked hopefully.

Don nodded. "Yeah, but he wants us to come to his office. He said he didn't want to tell me over the phone."

"Mann? Your father?" Meryl choked.

Don shrugged. "He said it wasn't; but that he wanted to talk to us in person."

"I thought all this was over, Don." Meryl choked. "What if somebody tried to kill you; hit you on purpose?"

Don wiped the tear that made its way down her cheek. "Sweetheart, let's not jump to conclusions. We will go see what Larry has to tell us. Whatever it is we will face it together like always."

"Together." Meryl whispered as he kissed her lips.

***

Don and Meryl were sitting in Larry's office holding hands when he rushed in. "I'm sorry guys; thanks for coming up here so quickly."

"I wanted to prove to Meryl that everything was okay." Don said with a kiss to her hand.

Meryl saw the look on Larry's face and knew it wasn't. "It's not, is it Larry? Who did this to my husband?"

"No, it's not." Larry said. "First of all, it wasn't Mann or James."

Don looked at Meryl then Larry. "Well who was it?"

"I've had my investigators working with the eye witnesses and we tracked him down. We have a confession out of him. We do think he was working with Mann, we are working on a confession regarding that as well. If so, that's going to make things worse for Mann. We are bringing him up on attempting to murder you, Don." Larry was going a mile a minute.