Chapter 32

Jumping out of the bed she was sharing with her big sister, Mamie, Gracie Jane ran into the living room of the suite where her family was staying in Indianapolis for Christmas, her eyes were big as saucers as the saw a pile of presents and stockings. She ran back into the bedroom and patted her sisters cheeks.

"Mai! Mai!" Gracie said excited. Mamie turned over, so Gracie got on in the other side of the bed and started jumping up and down. "SANTA CAME! SANTA CAME!" She yelled excitedly.

"Go back to sleep." Henry moaned from the floor in his sleeping bag.

"PRESENTS?!" Mamie said excitedly as she got up.

"Let's get Mommy and Daddy!" Grace said excitedly as she ran out of the room towards the room where their parents were sleeping.

***

Meryl and Don were fast asleep. Meryl was laying cuddled up to her husband's side with her head on his chest and her arm over his waist. After having their own private Christmas celebration in their room the night before they got dressed and watched a movie while they were waiting to put out the kids' presents. It didn't take as long to set out the kids' presents as it does when they were at home. They only brought a few presents for each since they had to fly. When they were done they went to bed holding each other. Both were exhausted from the events of the day, and Meryl was tired since she was nearing the end of her first trimester. Mamie and Grace ran into the bedroom and jumped on top of their parents. When Don felt them on the bed he immediately brought his knees up towards his chest to protect himself. They were partly awake and his move made Meryl smile.

"SANTA CAME!" Grace yelled.

"PRESENTS! STOCKINGS!" Mamie added as they were jumping up and down on their parents bed.

"Okay! Okay!" Meryl said laughing and turning to press her stomach against her husband's back as he turned over, to protect her pregnant belly from her excited daughters.

"You two go wake your brother and sit on the couch. No peeking!" He said laughing as his daughters jumped off their bed to get their brother.

Don turned over to look at Meryl. "You're getting good at protecting yourself, there babe." She laughed.

"It's instinct. Gotta protect the goods so the wife doesn't get upset with me." Don winked.

"Good, because I plan on enjoying those goods later." She winked making her husband laugh.

"How are you feeling today?" He asked with a kiss to her lips as he got up out of bed.

"Actually, really good. No nausea and I feel rested. Must be the time I spent with my husband last night." She said getting out of bed and wrapping her arms around his waist.

"Good, I'm glad." He said kissing her and then throwing on a pair of Yale sweatpants as Meryl put on his Yale sweatshirt.

"I got the camera." She said as she took it out of the bag.

"Well, let's get this Christmas started." He smiled.

***

Meryl was relieved that they were both so relaxed and happy that morning. She smiled as they walked out to find Henry lying on the couch with the two youngest jumping up and down. It was 7 AM and Meryl and Don couldn't believe they all got to sleep that late on a Christmas morning. They immediately let them open their stockings and presents. The girls got some dolls, books, and clothes. While Henry got a science kit, an art set (courtesy of his father), some books, and games for his Game-Boy. When they were done Meryl and Don had one last surprise for them. Don looked at her and went to sit beside her and took her hand in his.