Chapter 16

"Don? What's going on?" Meryl asked as they quickly got dressed.

"Hold on, sweetheart." Don said as he dialed his cell phone and blew out the candles. "Hey, it's me. Are the girls okay? Please don't let them out of your sight. Yeah, hold on. Darl, call Mamie and make sure she's okay."

"Don, what is going on?!" Meryl was scared to death.

"I think everything is fine, just check on her." Don said as Meryl called her daughter. "Yeah, they think they know where Mann is. Larry and the police chief are meeting us at the townhouse later tonight to talk about the next step. I'm going to drop Meryl off at your place so she's safe while I check out the townhouse since they spotted him outside there; then I'll come back to your place and get them. I just want the girls at home with us tonight. Thanks for everything, Third. We'll be there soon."

"Okay baby, you have fun. I just wanted to check on you. Call me when you get in for the night. We love you. Bye." Meryl sighed as she hung up. "Okay Don, what in the hell is going on?"

"That was Larry who called earlier. They found someone snooping around outside after you got here. God, I'm so glad you had the guards with you when you came here." Don said as he took her hands in his and kissed her. "They're pretty sure it's him."

"Did they arrest him?" Meryl asked hopefully.

"No, they want to trap him." Don sighed.

"They let him fucking get AWAY?" Meryl yelled.

"NO...NO way in hell." Don said. "They took a picture of him and followed him to a hotel where he is supposedly staying. They also think he was at the townhouse. Undercover cops are tailing him until we put everything in motion."

"So what's next?" Meryl asked.

"I drop you off at your brother's with the girls, then I come back and pick up you and the girls, we meet Larry and the chief at the townhouse, you identify Mann from the picture, and then write that stupid letter." Don sighed.

"Wait. Why are you dropping me off at Third's?" Meryl asked with squinted eyes. "WHERE are YOU going?"

Don took a deep breath. "If he was seen around our townhouse I need to go and make sure-"

"NO! No, you don't!" Meryl was insistent. "At least not without me!"

Don shook his head vehemently. "If he's there or has done something I don't want you there."

"I don't want you there either." Meryl started to cry again. "I'm coming with you and the guards are walking through with us."

It made Don sick to think about that psycho coming close to her; however he knew how she felt. "Okay, but please stay with me."

"I need to be there with you, Don." Meryl choked as she leaned her forehead against his.

Don nodded as he gently kissed her lips. "I need to be with you, too. So after we make sure the townhouse is safe we get the girls, Larry and the chief come over and then you write that fucking letter."

"Don, you said you would support me in this. I really don't want to fight with you on this. I need your support and love." Meryl said as tears started to form in her eyes.

Don leaned forward and kissed her lips in an urgent and passionate tongue tangling kiss. "I do support and love you with everything I have and everything I am; I am going to be with you every step of the way. It doesn't mean I have to like it's the only way, does it?"

"No, I don't either. Thank you for being there." Meryl smiled as she stroked his cheek.

"Always; you know that." Don took a look around and then grabbed his coat in one hand, and her hand in the other. "Let's go."