Chapter 15

A week had passed, and no sign of Mann. Meryl and Don thought they would be relieved, but they were unnerved. They wanted him to slip up, to show his face, but he didn't. It was almost as if they were waiting for the other shoe to drop. The more time went on, the more stressed they became. They jumped at every noise, every time the phone rang, every time someone knocked on their door. Meryl was working herself crazy between homeschooling the girls, settling her mother's affairs, and running the house. Don was stressed because he had so many pieces he was working on but couldn't concentrate. When he was at work all he could think about was his family at home ALONE, and when he was home all he could think about was how he wasn't being productive in the studio. He was trying to run all the errands that Meryl needed to run like to the grocery store and to the dry cleaners. When Don was at work he was afraid that every time his studio phone or his cell phone rang then that meant something happened to Meryl or to one of the children. Neither Don or Meryl were sleeping, they were too worried and stressed. Don was afraid if he closed both his eyes then Mann would take away his family, and Meryl felt the same way. Every time Don touched her or or kissed her without her seeing him she came out of her skin thinking it was Mann. Things were strained between them, not because they didn't love each other, just the opposite actually. Things were tense because they were afraid their life together could and would be taken away from them all in the blink of an eye. They fell into bed every night exhausted, still holding one another, but sleep didn't come. They hoped by the time their date on Friday night came around they would be more relaxed. They both knew they needed it, and that the girls would be safe with Third and Maeve.

***

Meryl was helping the girls with their homework in the office when the door bell rang. When she went to the door, she looked out the peep hole and saw a delivery man there with the guards standing at the top of the stairs by the front door. "Yes?" Meryl asked as she nodded to the guards.

"A delivery for Mrs. Gummer." The man said as he handed her flowers and a package.

"Thank you." Meryl smiled as she grabbed some money from her purse on the entry table to pay the delivery man. Meryl opened the box and gasped when she saw lingerie. Meryl began to shake as she read the card. This was the moment she'd been waiting for, and dreading at the same time.

My beautiful Meryl,

I can't wait to see you in this tonight. I can't wait until we are alone and you are all mine.

Your lover.

The room began to spin as Meryl felt sick from reading that card. MANN. Not only was he saying she would be with him tonight, he sent her lingerie. The type of present only her husband should be sending her. She was home alone with the girls. Of course they had guards but at the moment she was alone with them. Don, she wanted and needed Don. Then again she wanted to keep him safe as well as the girls. She didn't know what to think. She didn't know what to feel. All she knew was that she needed Don. Meryl raced upstairs to call her husband after she checked on the girls, and of course throwing the gift from HIM in the trash compactor, along with the flowers.

***

Don sighed as he looked at his sketches. It was not coming to him. He wanted to quit early so he could get things ready at the studio for him and Meryl for their date that night. They had been staying in their townhouse, for fear of going out and either Mann coming after them, or the press somehow catching wind of what was going on. As much as he would love to take her out to dinner, being together in his studio was the next best thing. He had a great plan of what he was going to do. He had stocked his studio with candles, pillows and blankets when he first moved in thinking this could be a getaway for them whenever they might need it; and boy did they need it. He knew what food and wine he was going to buy. He just needed to clean up some of his materials so he could try and make it look as romantic as possible for his wife. Don was brought out of his thoughts when his phone rang. He smiled when he saw it was her. "Hey there, beautiful." Don smiled.