Everything Has Changed - Chapter Twenty

EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED

CHAPTER TWENTY

*8 MONTHS LATER*

*ED'S POV*

It's been a while that Taylor has been gone now and I've no idea what to do with my life, nor what to do with Alison. All she does is ask where her mother is, why isn't she coming back. Why did she leave her. It hurts me to just think about it, knowing that a little girl like her would never understand. When she's older, I might tell her. Well I'm sure I will have to.

"Eddie?" Alison's high pitched voice appeared behind my back, throwing me out off thinking about Taylor.

"Yes, darling?" I asked her, smiling at the rearview mirror.

"Do you think mom will get back?" she asked, twirling her blonde locks on her fingers. 

"Of course she will, maybe not back to me. But you are her everything, of course she will get back," I answer, trying to confront that little girl, sitting next to my son on the backseat of a car that used to belond to Taylor. Technically it's still hers, but Jake took her away from us and I still didn't have a chance to get one since the car crash I was in months ago. Let's just say, I don't have as many money as Taylor and her family does. So, to get back to the car, Andrea - Taylor's mother - has borrowed it to me until I get my own. Not that I'd need some since I can use the trains and buses but I am taking the kids on a road trip, so I want them to be as comfortable as this Toyota allows.

"Is this how the rest of my life will look like?" my son asked. Sending him a confused look through the rearview mirror he continued, "First we lost mom, now Taylor. I don't want to lose Alison too,"

"Christopher, I am not going anywhere. I am not one to break my promises," she said grumpily.

"Alison, don't talk about your mother like that!" 

She didn't have to say a word anymore and I knew she's feeling guilty. I think she kind of understands that Taylor had no choice according how her father is. But the fact no body has heard from Taylor ever since she left is just.. pretty horrible. She hasn't even called her mom and I know that she has had the opportunity a numerous numbers of time already. And if she'd say she forgot the number, she'd be lying. I knew her way too good. But I am just scared something happened to her, which I know Jake would never bother telling us about or she started something with him - which on the other hand - I knew he would let us know.

After an hour or so, we arrived on a place I planned to take them. Great Smoky Mountains. I've been here a few times and I must admit it really is impressive and beautiful. I just hope the kids will like it.

"Happy birthday, Christopher!" Alison said, hugging my son. Yes, today is his 9th birthday, he's 4 months older than Ali and I decided to give him this as a gift.

As we were walking through the nature, Alison said she saw a bear jumping in the water, which is quite much possible as this is a place you can even experience the wildlife on your own eyes. It's wonderful. Christopher, on the other hand, almost fed a deer but it ran away withing the last minute that he has had a chance. When we came to that little tourist shop in the mountains, there were benches and fireplace. Around the fire were sat a few old men, one of them playing the guitar. It was normal to see that in Tennessee.

"Dad, will you play for me too?" Ed asked. He knew I could play the guitar and Alison knew now that her mother was able to as well and she tried playing. And she was good because she was already taking the banjo lessons that Taylor has paid for her once. 

"Sure," I said hesitantly and made my way to the men sitting on the benches. "Sirs, excuse us for bothering but could we take a seat here, and borrow your guittar? I don't normally do that but it's my son's birthday and he asked for it,"