Sunnats of Miswak

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                      -Aameen.

SUNNATS REGARDING MISWAK*

S. 1 Whilst making wudu, to clean the teeth with a miswak.

(Ahmad)

S.2 A miswak should not be longer than a span, i.e. the maximum distance between tips of thumb and little finger and it should not be thicker than a finger’s breadth.

(Al Bahrur-Ra ’iq)

S.3 A miswak should be held in such a manner that the small finger and thumb is below the miswak and the remaining fingers on its upper side.

Some Advantages and Benefits of Miswak

1. Miswak eliminates bad odours and improves the sense of taste.

2. Miswak sharpens the memory.

3. Miswak eliminates slime.

4. Miswak creates a fragrance in the mouth.

5. Miswak is a cure for illness.

6. Miswak strengthens the gums and prevents tooth decay.

7. Miswak assists in eliminating toothaches and prevents further increase of decay which has already set in.

8. Miswak is a cure for headaches.

9. Miswak creates lustre (Noor) on the face of the one who continually uses it.

10. Miswak causes teeth to glow.

11. Miswak strengthens the eyesight.

12. Miswak assists in digestion.

13. Miswak clears the voice.

14. The greatest benefit of using miswak is gaining the pleasure of Allah.

15. The reward or Salah is multiplied seventy times if Miswak was used before it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Teeth cleaning stick.

Note: In the research department of a Swiss Pharmaceutical Company

Pharba Basle Ltd., under the management of their scientists, experiments were carried out with the extract of miswak. The astonishing results proved that miswak (scientifically known as salvadora persica) contains antibacterial substances destroying the harmfull germs in the mouth which cause gum infections and tooth decay.

 The results have been confirmed by research work on the miswak plant in the Department of Chemistry at Riyadh University, Saudi Arabia and also at the Department of Chemistry, Indiana University, U.S. A.

Other Times When Usage of Miswak Is Sunnat

1. Before reading Salah.

2. For the recitation of the Qur’an.

3. For the recitation of Hadith.

4. When the mouth emits an odour.

5. For teaching or learning the virtues of Islam.

6. For making Zikrullah (Remembrance of Allah).

7. After entering one’s home.

8. Before entering any good gathering.

9. When experiencing pangs of hunger or thirst.

10. After the signs of death are evident.

11. At the time of Sehri.

12. Before and after meals.

13. Before undertaking a journey.

14. On returning from a journey.

15. Before sleeping whether in the day or night.

16. Upon awakening.

A/N :)

So whatcha thinking? Go buy that awesome little natural toothbrush today! For who knows, just using it daily will be your means of Jannah on the Last Day Insha Allah :)) and for those wonderful people who are a regular user of Miswak in this hard, tough world of today …I salute you all! For by Rahman! don’t you know that Allah SWT Himself loves you for practicing His beloved’s Sunnah?

                  With Duas and Salaam (Prayers and Peace),

                               abdurRahman(Gudi:))