STRIKE

Imagine helping Jack organize the strike
"(y/n)." You turn around at the sound of Jack's familiar voice, immediately putting the clothes you were hanging on the clothesline back into their basket.
"Hi, Jack," you smile. "Race, Crutchie." You nod to each in turn. "What can I do for you?"
Race grins and steps closer to you. "The question is: What can I do for you, Sweet Cheeks?"
You roll your eyes and reach down, picking up the clothes basket. Then you shove it into the boy's arms. "You can finish hanging these clothes." The flirt's smile falls, but yours doesn't. "Thank you, Race."
Jack and Crutchie snicker as their brother gets to work. "Seriously though, what are you doing here? Boys aren't allowed here after dark, and it's nearly dusk."
"We's organizing a strike!" Crutchie exclaims, rocking on his good foot as he grins.
Your face falls. "You're what?"
Jack catches sight of your worried expression, and he taps his friends shoulder. "Hey, Crutch, why don't you go help Race for a second, huh?"
The boy goes without a complaint, and you smile. Crutchie has a heart of gold. Jack pulls you slightly away so you're just out of earshot of the two other Newsies.
"Pulitzer raised the price of papes," Jack starts.
"Yeah, I know, I heard," you reply. "But are you sure this is something to go on Strike for? Did you try to-"
"Reason with him?" Jack finishes for you. "Yeah, we did. Old man wouldn't even see us. So yes, we're going on Strike."
Despite your worry, you nod. "Alright. So why are you here?"
Jack grins. "What, I need to have a reason to see my best girl?"
You blush. "No, but you do need a reason to bring your friends."
He nods. "Alright, ya got me there."
You brush your hand against his, but don't take it. As much as you'd like to. If one of the other girls saw you, you'd be kicked out of the factory's lodging house and onto the street. "So what is it?"
He takes off his hat like he does when he's nervous, and blows on his hands. "I need to know you and the other factory girls are with us."
"I don't understand."
"This Strike goes beyond just us newsies. This is about all of us; about all da kids that gotta work for a living too young, and never even got a chance ta do anything else. Especially when their work isn't even fair." He takes a step closer. "So, if it comes down to it, I need to know that you're with us."
"Well, you know him with you." You smile, and he smiles back. "And I know some other workers that will be, and that will be able to talk others up. I'll go around to some other factories too."
Jack takes your hand, and you let him. "You know you're amazing, right?"
You smile. "I try."
"Laundry's done!" Race yells, and Jack lets go of your hand quickly. He and Crutchie walk back up to the both of you. "We got an answer?"
You nod at him. "I'm with you. And I'll do my best to make sure others are too."
They all smile. "Let's go, then! We still gotta go ta Brooklyn," Crutchie smiles and hobbles quickly back to the main street.
Your eyes widen and you ask: "Brooklyn?"
"Yeah," Jack breathes, rubbing the back of his neck. "We gotta see what Spot Conlon says."
"Yeah..." Race growls, trailing after Crutchie slowly.
You take Jack's arm. "Brooklyn ain't a good place, Jack."
"I know, but luckily the King of Brooklyn and I are buddies. I'll be fine."
You sigh. "Alright. Now get going, so you're home at a good time."
Race grins. "Yes, ma." Ignoring him, you wrap your arms around yourself as they leave.
"Boys!" They all turn around, and you wave half-heartedly. "Be careful tomorrow."