Chapter 34: Track

You pounded across the cobblestone roads, gathering your strength and leaping over a person that was in the way. After Nami found that the money was gone from two of the suitcases, a blacksmith named Lulu had asked Kaku if he had been with the Franky family earlier. Kaku had expressed confusion over this, saying that he'd seen none of the Franky family at all that day. Lulu had said that he'd sworn he'd seen a long-nosed fella being carried off by them.

The only person it possibly could have been was Usopp.

The hard stone was rough on your paws, and you weren't looking forward to licking out the grit that was sure to be stuck in your pads. Jaws parted to taste the air, you followed the smell of Usopp, almost overwhelmed by the stench of blood.

If someone had hurt that poor, weak man, you were going to sink your fangs into their throat and not let go until they stopped twitching.

Luffy leaned down and said, "You okay? Your fur is doing that thing it does when you're upset." You forced the fur on your shoulders to lie flat and shook your head. "Is it Usopp? Is he hurt?" You growled, ears laid back. Luffy gently licked your ear. "Don't get too worked up, okay? Take care of yourself. Besides, you can't just go kill everyone. Remember what you told me, a long time ago?"

You twitched your ears. Of course you remembered. When you'd taught Luffy how to use the killing bite, you'd told him only to use it to protect himself or someone he loves. That blind rage is no reason to take a life.

"Good." Luffy gently rubbed your head again, settling down on top of you and letting you carry onward.

The scent was getting stronger as you raced across the streets, dodging people as you went. You turned a corner, and almost slammed straight into Zolo.

Zolo, Sanji, and Chopper all stood next to a trail of blood. You brushed past them and tasted the air.

"It's Usopp's." Chopper confirmed what your sense of smell was telling you, and you growled.

"Well." Sanji lit another cigarette. "We'd better find him. Lead the way, (Y/N)-chwan!"

You twitched your ears and started forward, nose toward the ground.

~~~

You nudged Usopp with a quiet whine. The poor man was beat almost to death, the faint rise and fall of his chest the only thing showing he was still breathing. You looked toward the building where this Franky family lived.

Head and tail down, you stalked forward, Sanji and Zolo flanking you. Luffy shifted on your back, sitting up straight. You placed your paws agains the door and shoved it off its hinges, snarling as you padded through the entrance.

The crowd inside went silent at your appearance. Sanji and Zolo followed you in, Chopper just behind. Shouts and challenges came from the ragtag group, but you ignored it, waiting only for the signal to pounce.

Luffy jumped lightly down from your back, resting one hand against your side. "Are you the ones that hurt Usopp?"

"And if we are?"

You glanced at Luffy. His hat's shadow hid his eyes from view and an aura of pure hatred pulsed from him.

"Then you all have to pay."

~~~

You smashed the heads of two men together, turning on one paw and slashing out at the ones behind you. You purred with satisfaction as more and more fell beneath your paws. 'It's so easy.' You thought. 'Like fighting kits.'

Luffy went to your side, and together you surveyed the carnage. Groaning, battered bodies lay everywhere across the room. Not one of the people had escaped injury. Except for your crew, of course.

Purring, you trotted over to where Sanji and Zolo stood, nudging the blond roughly with your muzzle so that he staggered against Zolo. The swordsman shoved him away, scowling. They both turned their backs to each other, blushing.

'One day,' you thought, as the five of you headed out. 'One day.'