Chapter 1: What a Small World

1973

Grace's POV

My heart is pounding against my chest as I run to one of the alleyways of the famous city in Vietnam. I press myself against the cold brick wall of the building, hoping to blend in with the darkness.

"Em ở đâu, công chúa?" (where are you, princess?) I hear a gruff, nasty voice say as two buff men run pass the alleyway not even looking at me. I sigh in relief as I tuck one of my blonde strands of hair behind my ear.

These motherfuckers think they can outsmart me in our deal. They must have forgotten who I am. I spent five months looking for these stones, also known as infinity stones, so I can sell them to the black market. FIVE GOD AWFUL MONTHS. And in return what do I get? Ambushed by my dealer that's what I get. No "thank you, Grace", no "here is your money". Pathetic, truly.

I look around to see where the two men had gone and I slip into the nearest store I can find. Which happens to be a club, how wonderful. I walk deeper into the bar, looking around to see a place where I can lay low. All the men in the bar turn their attention to me, ignoring the strippers begging for their attention. So much for laying low, how pathetic. My army boots make heavy thuds as I strut to one of the pool tables to see who I can pick pocket from first. What? A girl has gotta make a living! Sue me if you must. From all the attention I'm getting, I feel one particular pair of eyes, burning their way through the back of my head. I turn around to see a very handsome man with the most beautiful yet menacing pair of eyes I have ever seen staring at me. He was leaning against the pool table hitting the eight ball perfectly in the whole. His body stretching across the table and you can see his defined biceps. Almost as if on cue, he smirks and starts walking around the pool table towards the pile of money of the pool table.

I stare at him for a while before I notice one of the guys yelling at him. I smirked at him one last time and wink before leaving the bar through the back door. No matter how godly he is, I do not want to be pulled into a fight. Not again. I make it out the back door into the alley only to be met with two men. They step closer to me in the dimly lit alley and I see that they are wearing uniforms. From the army? Why in hells nation would the american army want me? I think as I hold both my hands in-front of me, my wrists beside each other as I raise an eyebrow at the boys. They quickly put my hands behind my back and put me in handcuffs. "Oh this is going to be fun," I smirk at one of the boys who looked at me with the most confused face ever.