Mend These Wounds

Carrie had just woken up and had breakfast before starting her workout around 8 in the morning. She had no idea who could possibly be at her house at that time. She wasn't expecting anyone, but for some reason someone was at the door.

Carrie ran up the stairs from the gym and opened the door to se an unexpected surprise. Charlotte was at her doorstep, her beautiful full sandy blonde locks straightened past her shoulders wearing a black printed tank top and jeans, her backpack strapped around her.

"Hey, Charlotte!" Carrie greeted sweetly, although curious as to why exactly the young girl was there, especially given no notice. "I wasn't expecting you."

"Sorry, I was just wondering if we could hang out?"

"Sure, come on in."

The two headed into her home where Charlotte sat in the living room. There was something in the way that the young girl hung her head so low as she trudged to the living room that started to worry Carrie. Her hands were fidgety as she sat down on the couch. When Carrie had first seen her at the meet and greet, Charlotte was so full of joy and full of life which was so unlike now. Even though Carrie didn't fully know her, she knew she was so unlike herself.

"So what's up? Aren't you supposed to be in school right now?" Carrie wondered noticing the time and the fact that it was a week day.

"Instead of walking to the bus, I walked here instead," Charlotte shrugged.

"You walked all the way from your house to here?" The walk would have had to have been at least an hour walk, possibly more. Charlotte nodded, before Carrie continued. "I assume your father doesn't know."

The younger blonde shook her head.

Carrie sighed, in frustration of not knowing what to do. "Your dad is going to kill me."

"You aren't going to tell him, are you?"

"He has to know where you are," Carrie told her. "I promised him that I would let him know when you're with me."

"But then he's going to kill me too."

"Why didn't you just go to school in the first place?"

"Because I didn't want to," Charlotte poorly argued.

"There has to be a better reason than that," Carrie replied. "I don't know every detail about you yet but I know you like school, you like to learn, so I don't know what's wrong."

"It's not about that," Charlotte sighed. "I don't know how to explain it."

Carrie gave her some time to fully collect her thoughts and to think on her words. She could tell something was really bothering her, and for the first time it kind of hurt Carrie not to know.

"Middle school is just a lot different," Charlotte finally opened up. "The people there are more judgmental, especially when you're the new girl. It's almost impossible to make new friends because everyone already has their own clique."

"You'll make friends. You just have to give it some time."

"You don't get it," Charlotte's voice cracked.

Tears started to stream down the young blonde's face and it pained Carrie to see her own daughter so vulnerable and not completely understand why. She wanted to help her in any way she could, but she didn't know what to do.

"Help me understand, sweetie," Carrie scooted closer to her, rubbing her arm to try to calm her slightly.

Charlotte took a deep breath, trying to compose herself before continuing on with the conversation. "No one talks to me. I try to introduce myself or try to start conversation but they either leave or laugh at me. I walk into the lunchroom and there's no one to sit with so I have to sit alone. Every time we have to partner up in class, I'm always the odd one out. I don't want to be alone. I hate it."