20 ~ Picture Perfect

Recap Louis' P.O.V.

This moment wasn't exactly the type of reunion that I had been wanting, my hand was throbbing from flexing my fingers too much and my shoulder had started to ache as we settled down, but just being able to hold her while she breathed on her own made me feel like I was flying, even if she was crying.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Niki's P.O.V.

"How many loaves of bread are you going to make out of stress?" I asked Harry from my vantage point atop his counter.

"As many as I need to." He replied with a tight clip to his voice. His back was turned to me, but I could tell he was trying to stay focused on one thing so that he didn't have to think about other things.

"It's been two months. Prolonged stress like this is going to ruin you." I told him gently and he shook his head like he didn't want to hear what I was trying to say.

"Nik, don't. I just can't help it." Harry's voice was deep, full of sorrow that he'd been carrying around for the last couple months.

"Haz, come here." I ordered. His shoulders bunched together but he sighed heavily and let them fall back to a relaxed position.

He turned slowly towards me. His hair had grown lately and the shaggy curls hung thickly over his head, covering his bright green eyes. I wanted to see his face fully, so I grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him closer. Using my left hand, I pushed back his hair from his forehead. His eyes were cast away from me and I sighed.

"Harry." I whispered and he flicked his eyes up to mine. The sadness in his green orbs sent a pang through my heart and I furrowed my eyebrows at him.

"Why is this happening to us?" He asked me quietly and I took in a slow, deep breath.

"I don't know. But spending all day in a kitchen, making more bread than anyone could possibly eat, isn't going to help." I rubbed my thumb against his cheek and he pressed his head farther against my hand while he closed his eyes.

"Is this just how life goes? You get everything you want, and then it all gets torn apart? What's the point?" His voice cracked as he spoke and I cringed at his obvious pain.

I knew exactly what was hurting him. I was hurting too. Everyone was hurting. None of this was fair, but I had spent too long being the weak one. It was my turn to be strong and brave, to be like Ariel until she could come back and be the brave one again.

"The point? The point is that without pain and sadness, no one would know what happiness really was. It seems hard now, but eventually all of this will be a memory that gives a greater purpose to love and fighting for what you want. There has to be something to prove how much it's worth to feel happy." I kissed Harry's forehead forcefully as I finished talking. His fingers slid over the countertop and up my thighs until he had a grasp on my waist.

"God, I love you." A small smile tugged at the side of his mouth as he leaned forward. I met his lips with mine and he tightened his grasp around me.

Just as I was about to wrap my legs around him and deepen our kiss, a loud trill of melody echoed around the open-area kitchen. Harry pulled away from me, sighed heavily as he hung his head, and then took a step away from me to pull his phone out of his back pocket.