9 ~ Falling Back

Chapter 9 YAY!!!!! 

~*~ recap ~*~

I was surprised when she moved to lay her head on my chest. It seemed so perfect there in that moment that I never wanted to leave. I began playing with her hair like I used to and felt her breathing settle once more. Feeling her this close to me, being warm and comfortable, and rhythmically stroking her hair began to slowly lull me into tiredness. I felt my eyes droop with heaviness and before I knew it, I was pulled into sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Louis' P.O.V.

The warmth I woke up to was comfortable beyond compare. I could feel a weight on my chest and I didn't want to move. I slowly opened one eye to glance down at the perfection I held in my arms. 

"Stop staring at me." I jumped at the voice that spoke and my heart skipped a beat the moment her blue eyes met mine.

"That's impossible. You're too beautiful." I told her and she blushed before laying her head back down on my chest.

I was startled at the sudden movement and it took me a few seconds to realize that she was laughing.

"What's so funny?" I pushed and she moved her hand to cover my heart as she sat up.

"I could hear your heartbeat." She beamed at me and I instantly smiled back.

"Oh yeah? What did it sound like? Can you feel it through my shirt?" I questioned as I sat up beside her.

"It sounded like a little drum. It's easier to hear than to feel." She told me and I smirked mischievously. 

"Let's change that." I teased and pulled my white t-shirt over my head quickly.

"Louis! Put your shirt on...." She whisper yelled at me and I laughed.

"You know you like this." I flexed my six pack and she laughed and hid her face in her hands.

 "No, no. That's not what your hands should be doing." I gently grabbed her hands and pulled them down from her face. I lifted one up to my chest and pressed it to my skin with my own hand covering hers. 

"That helped a little." She whispered. It fell quiet and she laced our hands together in her lap while tracing patterns on my chest with her other one.

"What happened?" I asked tentatively.

"What do you mean?" She looked up to meet my eyes.

"This is perfect. We could have been like this for the last year and a half. Why did you have to leave? What did I do wrong?" I pushed. Her eyes fell to the floor. 

"You didn't do anything wrong. You were, are, perfect." She replied and I inhaled sharply. 

"Then, why?" I questioned as I took my unoccupied hand and lifted her chin so I could look at her.

"Please, please don't ask. Don't make me say it." She closed her eyes and a tear fell down her cheek.

"Ariel, I need to know. I deserve the truth. After everything I went through, everything you put me through, the least you can do is tell me." I felt my blood boil a little. She had no right to keep this from me. I was a part of that relationship. It was like she had forgotten I had feelings too.

"I can't tell you. I wish I could but I can't." She told me. Her lower lip began to quiver and more tears fell. 

"Why can't you? What is stopping you? I'm here. I came back for you. I'll fight for you. Just let me in. Just tell me so I can fix this." I pleaded with her and cupped her face with my hand.