Chapter 6

Eren went to work cleaning his hand print from Levi's cabin door. It was fairly easy to remove, and as soon as that was finished, Erwin met up with him to tell him his job. Eren's eyebrows furrowed.

"Isn't that a swabbie's job?" Eren asked. He was just told that he was going to be cleaning the ship every day. Erwin shook his head.

"That's not your only job. You'll also be in charge of bringing the Captain his tea, relaying messages between the different crew members, getting supplies for the different members-"

"I'm a fucking errand boy." Eren interrupted. Erwin sighed as he leaned against the wall.

"It'll make the ship sail smoother."

"I'm pretty sure the ocean and weather conditions determine the smoothness of the ship." Eren said, crossing his arms. Erwin pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Eren, that's not the point. The point is, until Hanji and Isabel work out ways for the crew mates to speak with each other without having to leave their positions, we need you to deliver messages between them. Not everyone can leave their post to go grab supplies for their job. Not everyone has time to do their own laundry. Since this crew first started, we've been cycling through a chore list, and as more members join, the more there is to do. But we're also a well known crew, and pirate hunters are looking for us, making most of us on high alert. Our captain has a high regard for cleanliness, and a dirty ship cause illness. The more people we have incapacitated, the less people we have to defend the ship if we are attacked by the hunters or rival pirates. Making sure the ship is clean is very important. Your job is very important." Eren's eyes widened slightly. Wow, that did make him feel more important, except for one thing.

"The Captain's tea is because?" Erwin pushed off the wall.

"Do you know the phrase 'If mother's not happy, no one's happy'?" Eren nodded. "Levi works in a similar fashion. If he's not happy, everyone else gets to live in his hell with him. His tea makes him happy." Eren nodded as he let that sink in.

"So if I fuck up on Levi's tea, we're all fucked." Erwin nodded as he put a hand on Eren's shoulder.

"Now you're getting it. And for your own safety, bathe daily. You're going to be in the Captain's presence frequently, and if you are even the least bit dirty..." Erwin trailed off purposely, allowing Eren to fill in the blank.

"Got it. When should I bring Levi his tea?" Erwin hummed.

"The kitchen staff will brew a full kettle of tea before breakfast, bring that and a tea cup to him. Check every hour to see how the kettle is doing. Some days, he won't need another pot until lunch, while other he needs a new pot every hour."

"And I'm supposed to do that and everything else everyday?" Eren whined. Erwin sighed.

"It's not always going to be that hard. You don't have to clean the kitchen or the captain's quarters. You won't have to clean Hanji's room either. Everyone has to have their rooms clean before breakfast, so that takes the bunks out. You also don't need to clean the treasure hold."

"Treasure hold?" Eren asked. Erwin sighed.

"It's in the very bottom of the ship. No one enters the treasure hold except for when treasure is being added or removed. The key is in the Captain's cabin. No one has been able to find it, so don't think you'll make it far. And as we've stated before. This is more than a pirate crew. We're a family. If you steal from the hold, you steal from all of us." Erwin's face hardened. "Understood?" Eren nodded.

"Wait, do you carry all of your treasure around with you?" Erwin shook his head.

"No, there's a remote island that has the majority of our treasure. It's our own private island. We go there once a year to drop off whatever we've collected. Sometimes twice a year depending on our progress." Eren nodded slowly.

"Alright. Well, I guess I should get to work." Erwin nodded and showed Eren to the cleaning closet, where he'd meet his best friends. The cleaning supplies.