✨One✨

You were prodded awake with a soft paw to your cheek. Waving it away, you mumbled, "Poofcakes, go away, I'm trying to sleep." With that you shifted away from the ginger feline, who meowed in protest, and drew your warm blankets over your shoulder. She rubbed her cheek against the back of your head, then headed out of your room. You checked the time real quick, 12:47 PM, before laying your head back down on the pillow.

Next you heard your father, Henry, call you from the living room. He didn't like it when you slept in past twelve, and was strict when it came to timing. Other than that he was pretty laid-back. He'd let you go anywhere, as long as you were home before 9:30 PM, and let you eat anything out of the fridge whenever you wanted. This caused you to be a little chubby, but it was a cute look on you anyway.

As far as living went, you lived in a small apartment flat in the city with your father. It had two bedrooms, a bathroom, a closet, a kitchen, and a living/dining room combo. It was small, but you two managed. It's not like either of you spent much time at home, anyway. You were at school or hanging at a friend's house, while he was at work. The reason why you weren't at school now was because you were a week into summer vacation; you had three months all to yourself.

You loved your father, and, the more time you spent with him, the more like him you became. You were really good at drawing, specifically. There was nothing you couldn't draw. You had his hair, and his eyes, but he always told you that you wore your mother's smile.

Your mother wasn't here because simply put, she passed away at childbirth, leaving you with your father and no siblings to play with. You liked to think she gave her soul to you. It hit him hard, but hadn't really affected you. You weren't sure how to feel, because you never knew her for longer than three seconds. He struggled with you for a bit, and you two lived with the parents of your mother for a few years. Your grandfather gave you Poofcakes, your ginger cat, because he wanted you to have someone to play with. In your childish excitement, you eagerly named your fluffy feline Poofcakes. She was very loyal, and didn't leave your side the whole five years you lived there. When you were six, your father caught on with raising a kid and finally purchased a small home for the two of you and Poofcakes, now aged at ten years.

Reminiscing lead your mind astray until you heard a soft knock at your door which startled you. "Hmm?" You hummed, inviting your dad to come in.

He took a seat near your bed. "(Name) dear, do you remember Joey Drew? My old pal from the animation studio?" he asked.

"Yeah, it wasn't that long ago when he came over two years ago. Why?" Joey used to visit you and your father very often, and to be perfectly honest, you didn't like him in the slightest. He always looked like he was planning something wicked, and frankly, you thought he was scary enough without the murderous glint in his eyes. He was like Medusa; don't look too long or else he might snap. He vanished one day without a trace. Joey's neighbors think he went insane, as they heard him talking to himself a lot, while the police suspected him dead, the body never found. Who knows, maybe he's still out there.

You shuddered at the thought and listened to your father, "Well it turns out he's actually alive." Your eyes widened, both with shock and fear.

"Wh-where is he?" You stuttered, bottom jaw shaking.

"He's at the old animation studio, the one where I used to work with him, saying he wanted to see me again. Unfortunately, he won't tell me anything in this letter, except the address and what I've told you. I would've gone, but I have to put in extra hours this week for work, because we need to repair the window upstairs before winter rolls in or we'll freeze." Ah yes, the upstairs window. You see, you might've gotten a little too careless and slammed your bureau door handle into the window. He hesitates a little. "I know you didn't like Joey that much, but I haven't asked you for much of anything in your entire life. Can you please do this one favor for me? It means a lot, and I'll even get you a little something extra if you can go."

You contemplated this deeply in your head a moment. What are the pros and cons? You wondered. Well if I go, I don't think I'll have to stay long; three hours at most, and I'll get something out of it. However, I'll have to face Joey, an insane man. Who knows what he'll do to me! But...if I don't, we'll freeze through winter, and lose lots of money. You looked at your father and sighed. "Fine, but if he's not there, I'm leaving, but if he is, I'll only stay for an hour."

He smiled warmly at you. "Thank you, sweetie." He kissed your forehead and ruffled your hair. "Now get ready to go, I'm going to work in five minutes."

I nodded. "Of course, dad." You headed for your room and proceeded to change into more comfortable clothing. What to pack...? You grabbed a small bag that went from your right shoulder to your left hip, and put in a water bottle, granola bar, flashlight, and a small pocket knife in case Joey tried anything. Finished and ready to go, you pat Poofcakes's head before you exit the front door. "I'll see you soon, Poofcakes."

She seemed reluctant to let you leave.

--------------------------------------------

This is the first chapter of the book! I hope y'all are enjoying so far! No action yet, but plenty to come!

I'll see you in the next chapter!

HYPE!

Peace ~ Mama Meh