Chapter 43

STILL MIKE's POV

The morning after the funeral, I woke up covered in sweat and screaming. In my dream, I was at a funeral. People all around were crying and hugging each other. But I couldn't figure out whose funeral it was. Then, as I made my way to the alter, I saw a big poster board. The sight made me drop to my knees in tears. Thousands and thousands of pictures of Ainsley covered the board.

BACK TO AINSLEY's POV

I awoke to the sound of Mike screaming.

"Mike! Mike! What's wrong?!" I asked him, hugging him.

He just fell apart. He crumbled into a million pieces and just landed in my lap. By looking into his eyes, I could see exactly what he was dreaming about. I cried, stroking his head, and leaned close to his ear.

"It's going to be ok. No matter what." I whispered. For that night, I, too, had a dream. It was a very different dream than Mike's was.

I was on a swing hanging from a big willow tree. I was wearing a white dress and had a yellow flower tucked behind a piece of my long curly blonde hair. I smiled as my toes skimmed the water as I swung back and forth. I heard giggling, and saw a younger girl with blonde hair and sparkling green eyes throwing rocks into the river. I kicked a little water to splash her with. She gasped, laughed, and splashed me back. I jumped off the swing as she dashed off into a large green field. We both laughed and ran forever. After a while, we both collapsed, laughing, onto the ground, as we looked at the sky. But the thing was, as we looked into the sky, we could see earth. We could see Madison's parents cooking a pasta over a drive. I could see Mike rigging a boat with Eric.

As I sat there holding mike, rubbing his back as he cried, I thought about the things I've been feeling. For the past week, I have felt different. There was this pain in my chest, and it was hard to breathe. On more times than I can count on my hands, I had felt as though I was choking, and as if I couldn't swallow enough. I knew something was wrong. But I also knew that the results from last week would tell me what I need to know. In the mean time, I was just going to live.