Chapter 20

Author's Note: If you have any tips writing tips, please feel free to comment.

As always, I continue to hope that I am doing justice to the spirit of Star Wars as well the respective authors and characters from which I borrow. Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills further as a writer.

Mandalorian (Mando'a) words

Aruetii (ah-roo-AY-tee): traitor, foreigner, outsider

Ba'vodu Gan: Uncle Gan

Ner vod (nair-vohd): "my brother/sister"; colloquially also "my friend"

Ika (EE-kah): diminutive suffix written as 'ika - also added to a name as a very familiar or childhood form, e.g, Ord'ika - Little Ordo

Di'kut (DEE-koot): idiot, useless individual, waste of space (lit. someone who forgets to put their pants on)

Dina'la (dee-NEE-lah): insane

 Kotyc (koh-TEESH): strong 

 Shabuir (SHAH-boo-EER: extreme insult - *jerk*, but much stronger 

Sharal (SHAH-ral): lazy 

Vode (VOH-day): brothers, sisters, comrades

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 20

The other squads had called us the Reject Squad practically from the moment the Kaminoans had released us from our incubation pods. They couldn't understand how we could argue and fight amongst ourselves so consistently. I guess when you're told you're a reject often enough, at some point you begin to believe it. I can't say when exactly it happened, but we realized that if we were going to be considered rejects, then we would be sure to use it to our advantage. It didn't take us long to learn how to bend the rules and show our superiors they were wrong. More importantly, we specialized in proving how our superiors were wrong.

RC-1168 "Dusty" reminiscing about his time in the GAR

Tochin Moon III, 784 Days ABG

"Can I ask what...dee-koot means?" Arlesse asked, not looking at anyone in particular as she continued to keep herself busy with preparing more RubyFruit candy.

Dusty raised an eyebrow at the princess and her curiosity. "What use would you have for the Mando'a language?"

Her eyes flicked to Jas for a brief second, but he remained in his stony posture. When she looked to Dusty, she explained, "I want a way to remember you all. Jas taught me that vode means brothers, and the trooper who was killed taught me that koytc means strong."

"Oh, idiot," Dusty said.

Arlesse felt suddenly taken aback and she was mortified that she might have just insulted him. She shook her head in apology. "I'm sorry. I just..."

Dusty laughed again. "I didn't insult you, Les'ika. Di'kut means an idiot, someone who's a waste. The cook of yours who won't let you near the kitchen, he'd be a di'kut."

"Oh," she smiled, feeling foolish.

"If you want, I could teach you a whole new vocabulary."

"Don't you dare taint the girl's innocence, shabuir," Mouse warned as he came back and sat down before the fire again.

"Fine, you do it then," Dusty replied as he stood up. He walked by Jas, gently tapping him twice on the shoulder armor, using their personal signal that he needed him to accompany him for a private conversation.