Chapter 40

Author's Note: If you have any tips writing tips, please feel free to comment.

As always, I continue to hope that I am doing justice to the spirit of Star Wars as well the respective authors and characters from which I borrow. Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills further as a writer.

Mandalorian (Mando'a) words

Buy'ce (BOO-chay, BOO-shay): helmet; Colloquially: pint, bucket

Di'kut (DEE-koot): idiot, useless individual, waste of space (lit. someone who forgets to put their pants on)

Ika (EE-kah): diminutive suffix written as 'ika - also added to a name as a very familiar or childhood form, e.g, Ord'ika - Little Ordo

Ner vod (nair-vohd): "my brother/sister"; colloquially also "my friend"

Shabla (SHAH-bla): screwed up - impolite

Shebs (shebs): backside, rear, buttocks (also rear of building etc)

Su cuy'gar (Soo COO-ee-gar): Hello - lit. *You're still alive.*

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 40

I could not manage to break through Commando Jas' barriers of silence, but his sentiments for Arlesse are noble. There is something very real and honest in his eyes, and I believe the observations from Jedi Paxa do not require further challenging. However, due to orders that come from an authority higher than our monarchy, he cannot stay long enough to have his intentions proven. Their distance would either make them stronger or tear them apart forever, and I think we should find a way – utilizing our laws – to let them attempt the bond that they wish to know. I believe such an experience will authenticate their intentions and show us just how serious they truly are.

Duchess Janelle Napith's report to King Vollan Psach after her interrogation of Jas

Tochin Moon II, 787 Days ABG

Sleep had been eluding Jas for the last couple of hours, and rather than fight the inevitable, he had decided to just get himself out of bed before his brothers awakened. Besides, he wasn't exactly accustomed to sleeping on a mattress quite as soft as the one he had been provided, and something about that bothered him. He wasn't certain if it was guilt for the brothers of his who would never experience such luxury or if it was because Jas knew he couldn't enjoy these comforts without knowing if Les'ika was okay now.

As Jas continued to keep himself moving so as not to dwell on Les'ika, he thought back about how Crimson had asked no questions when he returned to the room last night, as his seclusion alone had told them all they needed to know.

Taking advantage now of the silence without his brothers awake to get in his way, Jas took one last inventory of his kit, confirming that it was finalized for departure because he knew that once he was given the new mission briefing, the supplies would be completely changed based on the requirements of their next assignment.

Jas took a quiet sigh, and the lavishly scented soap that lingered on his skin seeped into his nostrils. Because he had no idea when their next break between missions would be, Jas had also taken his time earlier this morning to clean up properly in the refresher before dressing himself in his full armor. He wasn't used to the aroma of the cologne-like cleanser and aftershave that they were provided, and it made him feel somehow different. Again, he wondered if it was another little luxury that Les'ika insisted they be given, something to give them a memory of life in the civilian ranks, or if this was just the standard treatment that any guest who was invited into the palace received.