Chapter 56

Author's Note: If you have any tips writing tips, please feel free to comment.

As always, I continue to hope that I am doing justice to the spirit of Star Wars as well the respective authors and characters from which I borrow. Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills further as a writer.

Mandalorian (Mando'a) words

Shabuir (SHAH-boo-EER): extreme insult - *jerk*, but much stronger

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 56

If one studies history, it is most notable that when governments align, it usually occurs most smoothly through the union of those dedicated to a similar cause. It is with optimism and trust that I believe Tochin and the Empire will unite in a smooth transition. With honor and compassion, I have proposed a union in the form of marriage to Princess Arlesse Psach, and although there are expected reservations in a union as intricate as this, my proposal has ultimately been accepted.

Excerpt from Moff Gillard Harkin's public speech announcing his marriage proposal

Tochin Moon III, 86 Days after Order 66

Feeling like she was suddenly enveloped in some kind of thick fog as it swirled around her, Arlesse grew more aware of the soft caress Harkin's fingers gave her palm. It wasn't until she felt the heat of his other hand pressing against the small of her back that she realized just how close they were now. She didn't remember moving towards him, but space she consistently kept between them was no longer existent. Arlesse felt her attention briefly fall to his lips, and she wanted to be sick with betrayal at the very thought that she wondered what a kiss with him would feel like.

Gillard slowly watched the distance between them shrink to mere inches. He hadn't anticipated that the princess would allow him to indulge in a moment of such close proximity. He still waited for her to pull away or push him aside in her usual disgust, and he needed to prevent that from happening.

Before she could set up her defenses again, he spoke in a hushed whisper. "Don't shut me out. I see how he fell in love with you, and I know that I can, too."

Hearing Harkin's reference to Jas, Arlesse quickly pulled her hand free from his as her fists clenched in a combination of fright and anger. She tried to pull away, but the sudden smooth touch of his hand on her face was warm and gentle, contradicting the hatred she felt for him and what he had done to her family. She swallowed hard, believing it was a mistake, manipulation of his to learn about Jas. She shook her head, fighting the possibility, the very concept. Her voice was certain that Harkin was lying about his affections for her. "No."

"Let me take his place," Harkin pleaded softly as he dared to bring his face closer to hers. "Let me love you."

Arlesse shook her head, trying to break free from the gentle touch of his hand that was the barrier holding her face to look at him. She felt the blockage against her back as his other hand kept a gentle but firm touch on her there as well. Not sure she wanted to actually hurt Harkin, Arlesse held back from trying a physical attack. Instead, she verbally tried one last time to let him free her. Arlesse's words were hushed, choked by some kind of betrayal that only she could feel. "Please don't..."

"He can't return," Harkin whispered as his words grazed her lips. "Your time with him can only be a memory now."

Arlesse tried to shake her head again, but Harkin continued talking. "I want to give you a future. My affections for you are true, and I know you can see it."